United States of AmericaEnglishEN

Pick a language

CanadaEnglish CanadaFrançais
TurboTax Help
Intuit

How do I deduct mortgage interest if I co-owned the home?

There are different situations that affect how you deduct mortgage interest when co-owning a home.

• The co-owner is a spouse who is on the same return: Enter the full amount as it appears on the 1098.
  • The 1098 has multiple names, but only one person is paying the mortgage/interest: Only the person who actually paid the interest can take the deduction.
  • The 1098 has multiple names and multiple people are paying the mortgage/interest: Each can deduct their portion of interest paid. When entering the 1098 only enter the amount that you actually paid, not the full amount.
  • The 1098 is in someone else's name (not a seller-financed loan), but you pay some or all of the mortgage/interest: In most cases you'd have to be the owner of the property to take the deduction. If you can prove you're the owner in every way but in name (constructive ownership), you could still be allowed to take the deduction.  (You could get audited and have to prove constructive ownership. If the IRS doesn't allow the deduction, you may have to go to tax court and argue your case.)You’ll be able to explain in TurboTax why you’re taking the deduction. In the Deductions & Credits section (where you enter mortgage interest), check The interest amount I entered is different than what's on my 1098 when entering your info.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post