Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

how to enter treasury t bills and i bond 1099 info?

I don't see way to import so question 

- can i just enter total sum of box 3 info or i have to enter each t bill box 3 info separately ?

- how do i enter saving bond i closed  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies

Depends. But probably two 1099-INT forms

1)  For the i-bond you cashed, you should create a 1099-INT form the US Treasury, and put the interest in box 3.

2) For the Treasury Bills, you "probably" hold those at a brokerage.  IF so, you need to get the 1099-INT form that brokerage and either import it, or enter it manually.  It may have other $$ in other boxes that also need to be filled in.  Those held there can be summed together and not entered individually.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

These are all from treasury direct  ONLY, treasury direct creates a form only for rows 

Form 1099-INT Interest Income(OMB No. 1545-0112)

Date TransactionConfirm # Description of Security Interest On U.S.Savings BondsAnd Treas.Obligations(Ref. Box 3), Federal Income TaxWithheld(Ref. Box 4) 

it includes Tbond and I Saving 

so i question was , do i have to create separate record for each row for T Bond and I Saving Bond

For a Treasury Direct account, you only need the total as a single 1099-INT.

I have had an account there too for many years. I have always used just the total at the bottom of the list of entries, and entered as one 1099-INT in the software.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

How do I avoid state taxing this amount? If I place total amount as 1099 INT in Federal tax. State Tax increases as well. But Interest from Treasure Bill should not owe state tax.

Thank you 

Neverminded, I figured it out.

How did you figure it out? For those of us that are in the same position.. I may figure it out too but I'll come back and give an answer cause this comes up in Google Search for people in the same boat.

I figured out I need to manually enter it and enter it in Box 3 of the 1099. Watching Fed and State this added up!

When you put 1099 int make sure you check Box #. There is option for you to pick 1.2.3....etc. Box 3 is specifically for Treasure stuff... And it is state tax free!!

Sweet, Figured it out before I seen this but **bleep** thanks for the fast response!  If I didn't you'd been a hero.

Thanks!

I was just given incorrect information on how to report US Treasury I-Bond interest income on my Federal tax return.  I cashed in a $10,000 I-Bond on 9/28/23 and received the principal amount of $10,000 plus interest income of $852.  The Turbotax Helpdesk said to report the $852 interest income in Box 3 and not Box 1.  When doing so, the reported interest of $0.00 on the summary interest page, not $852, thus under-reporting m interest income.  So, I entered the $852 in Box 1 only, and that pulled the correct amount of $852 interest into the summary page.  The Helpdesk even checked with her Supervisor and continued to give me incorrect advise.

Yep...the summary interest page does not show all the $$ for all the boxes...until you drill down in a ways further.   But when it's appropriate,  when $$ are put in box 3, they are all handled properly on the final Federal and state tax forms.

(Meaning Treasury & Savings bond interest goes in Box 3)

I'm sure it's a continual challenge for the software user-interface people to determine what they need to show on the summary screens.

@jgsfinancl No issues when entering interest in box 3 of the Form 1099-INT.  Shows on the Form 1040 Line 2b as taxable interest.

Treasury Interes 1099-INT.JPG

Treasury interes 1040.JPG

if you filled box 1 and 3 and efiled and it was accepted you double reported the US interest. Box 3 was the only box to reprt US interest, Look at page I of 1040 line 2b  that should show only 852 + any other interest

if it shows 1704 + your other interest you double reported. If your return was accepted you'll need to file an amended return to get back the overpaid taxes. 

So if we have a 1099-INT from Department of the Treasury (for things like T Bills), we're ONLY entering the interest in Box 3 on TurboTax and box 1 is $0 (or blank)?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies