Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter my 1042s form Income Code 17

Hi, I am a student with F-1 visa and have been in the US for 5 years. I have a 1042-s form, income code 17, chapter indicator 3. I had extra income for a student leadership program. How do I enter this information on turbotax. Any help would be very appreciated!! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Have you been in the US more than 5 years counting the year you arrived as your first year?  If not you need to file a non resident return.  Just checking.

You will need to enter the income in the self-employment section of TurboTax.  In the search bar at the top of your screen, enter self employment income and click the jump to link.  As you were not an employee, you were paid as an independent contractor.

You may need to upgrade to include this income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!! One other question, I had a 30% tax rate on the income that I've obtained through this. How do I then claim for the withheld amount? 

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

You will need to enter this tax withholding as follows:

1. Click on Deductions & Credits at the top of your screen
  2. Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  3. Click on Other Income Taxes
  4. Scroll down to Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099 and click Start

I have one other question, Do IRS receive a copy of the 1042s form? Or do I have to file my taxes by mail to send them the form? 

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Yes, the IRS receives a copy of Form 1042S from the filing agent. You do not file Form 1042S with your income tax return.  Fill out Form 1042S and then mail it to the address specified in the form instructions.

Thanks for the quick response!! I guess, I'm still confused.

I entered 1042S information on TurboTax to file for taxes.

My question is - Do I have to file my taxes by mail to also file for 1024s, as I would have to attach the 1042S form (which I am not able to on TurboTax, compared to W2s)? 

Or... 

Can I e-file my taxes on TurboTax without sending the 1042s form via mail? In this case, will IRS/state department have the form?

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can e-file your tax return.  You do not need to attach your Form 1042-S to your return.  I would keep the 1042-S form with your tax records that you keep each year.

PS2019

Hi, I am Also a student with F-1 visa and have been in the US for over 5 years. I have a 1042-s form, income code 16, chapter indicator 3. I have the same question, How do I enter this information on turbotax? I also have the deluxe version but there is no place to enter 1042s.

Thank you!

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

See my  colleague Lina's previous answer to a similar question:

If you are a US resident, by receiving a Form 1042- S with the code 16, you will treat it as receiving a scholarship or fellowship to offset your qualified education expenses if there are any.  Per IRS, you are required to file a Form 1040 to report your scholarship amount along with your tuition.  If you have paid any qualified tuition expenses out of pocket or with scholarship, you would enter information by following the steps below.  As IRS receives a copy of your Form 1042-S, you can e-file your tax return.  You do not need to submit your Form 1042-S separately.

In TurboTax online edition, 

Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off

• At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "1098t" and Enter
  • Select Jump to 1098t
  • On the screen, Now Let's gather XYZ's Additional Education Expenses
  • Follow prompts
  • Next screen, Your Education Expenses Summary, select Edit
  • Next screen Here's Your Education Summary, under Tuition, select Edit to enter tuition information

If you have paid in any tax withholdings, to enter the info, follow these steps:

1.  Sign back into the program and select Pick up where you left off 

2.  At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in estimates paid and Enter

3.  Select Jump to estimates paid

4. On the screen, Estimates and Other Income Taxes Paid, select the right section to enter information   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies