Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

spiveyd12

How to delete federal return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

As long as you haven't submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered, you can erase your return and start from scratch in TurboTax Online.

1. Sign in and select a topic to continue your return.
  2. On the next screen, from the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then Clear & Start Over (select the menu icon in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).
  3. Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the same question and the solution does not work on my version of Turbo Tax Premier. I purchased on-line from Costco the 2020 version. I wanted to play around with different tax scenarios and created several tax returns. I now want to delete the ones (federal and state) I don't need, but can't find a way to delete the federal returns, only the state returns. There is no menu on the left side of the screen when I open the return. Is there a way to delete the entire return in the 2020 version?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Please see the following TurboTax article for help in deleting a tax return file in the CD/Download version:  How do I delete a tax return that was created in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software?

@Cruzesa

Thank you, but I have an on-line version, not a CD and I was wanting to delete the files from within Turbo Tax software, not the .pdf files it creates. I did; however, find an answer from someone else that I didn't notice before:  "The other way is through the TurboTax product itself.   Launch TurboTax.   In the Windows version, for instance, on the home screen it should show you large icons for the returns you have been working on.   Click once on the one you don't want, and it will be "selected" (a border will appear around the icon).   Then press the DELETE key on your computer.    A popup will ask you if you want to delete it from the TurboTax program, or if you want to delete it from your computer.     If you choose "Delete from TurboTax", it only removes it from that interface--i.e., it just doesn't display when you launch TurboTax, but is still present on your computer.  To completely delete it, you choose "Delete from TurboTax AND your computer".

This process worked and I was able to delete the versions I didn't want.

Thank you so much.  I have tried everything.  I had three copies to select from within the program, but only one on my hard drive.  I renamed the one on my hard drive and then opened Turbo Tax and did a "look for file", opened it and saved it.  Now I had four copies when I closed and reopened.  So I did as your message said and selected each one by one and hit the delete key.  Now I have one and one.  Thank you, thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies