Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

abgrant8

How do you add a printed 1096 Form on the free version of Turbo Tax App? I worked a 1099 job last summer.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

How do you add a printed 1096 Form on the free version of Turbo Tax App? I worked a 1099 job last summer.

You don't.  A 1096 form is a transmittal form sent by an employer to the IRS along with a copy of the 1099 forms he/she prepared.

If you mean a 1099-MISC form, please follow the steps below to enter it in TurboTax. 

[NOTE:  To enter a 1099-MISC in your return you will need at least the Deluxe version of TurboTax.  If you have expenses to deduct against this income, you will have to use the Self-Employed version of TurboTax Online.  You can use the Deluxe version of the CD/Download version.]

To enter the 1099-MISC in TurboTax Self-Employed, please follow these steps:

1. Click on Income and Expenses and then click the Start/Revisit box in the Self-Employment section.
  2. On the Your 2019 self-employed work summary screen, click on Edit next to your business. If you haven't already entered information on your business, you will be asked to enter that information first.
  3. On the Here's your [business] info screen, click on the box Add income for this work
  4. On the next screen, Let's get any additional income, mark the button for the income source [ 1099-MISC, Additional income, etc. and click the Continue box.  
  5. Continue through the screens, entering your business income.

I need to create 1096 and 1099 same time and transmitted IRS individually 

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

TurboTax Free does not support creating Forms 1096 or 1099.

You can use TurboTax Self-Employed, TurboTax Self-Employed Live, TurboTax Home & Business for Windows, and TurboTax Business to create W-2 and 1099-MISC forms for your employees and contractors.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Can Turbotax help me file a 1096 form and send it to IRS?

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

You can use TurboTax Online or TurboTax Home & Business or TurboTax Business to get a link to file your Forms W-2, 1099-MISC, and 1099-NEC.  When you file online, the system provides the summary of the filing to the reporting agency.  The only time you send in a Form 1096 to the IRS is with paper copies of your 1099's issued and TurboTax does not have a paper filing method.

@aracudoc1a

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies