Re: How do I transfer my children's tax file from ...

How do I transfer my children's tax file from my computer to theirs so they can do their own taxes?

To save your children's TurboTax tax file so they could prepare their income taxes on their own computer, copy the .tax file onto a flash drive or any other external device.  Here's how:

1. In TurboTax, open the tax return you wish to back up.
  2. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  3. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
  4. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original (for example, incorporate "Backup" or "Copy" in the file name).
  5. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  6. Now reopen TurboTax and open the backup you just made. It should open without incident; if you get an error or it won't open, delete it and repeat these steps to make a new backup.
  7. Finally, whenever you make changes to the original, repeat these steps to ensure that both files are synchronized.

Related Information: