turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I stop the forum program from thinking my enhancement proposal is spam?

Twice today I tried to make a post in this forum proposing an enhancement to TurboTax, and twice it was rejected because it said it thought it was spam.  It's a serious and detailed request; there is nothing in it that should be considered spam.  Yesterday I made a post and some replies which were accepted, so I don't know what the issue is with this post.  I sent a private message five hours ago about this to both a super user and a moderator and I haven't gotten any response. If there's someone with any authority reading this I'd be glad to send you the post in a private message so you can review it.  Otherwise, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get past this problem?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I can bring your post to the Lounge, hopefully there the TurboTax Moderators will see it & get in touch with you.  I will tell them you have enhancement suggestions.

View solution in original post

hi @ItzRav , I received your private message & I posted your enhancement suggestion in the Lounge.  TurboTax Moderators do see the posts we enter, thank you for providing your suggestions.  TurboTax can always benefit from suggestions from people who use the software.  

OK, the following is your suggestion:

Subject:  Proposal for enhancement to fix the What-If Worksheet so it can actually be used to compare married filing jointly vs. married filing separately

Message body:

I’m using TurboTax 2018 Premier Desktop for PC.  We created a Married Filing Joint (MFJ) return, making sure when we were entering all the numbers that we specified which person (Taxpayer or Spouse) those numbers belonged to (we have separate bank accounts, separate investments, etc.).  So each separate item of interest, dividend, and other things was assigned to either the Taxpayer or the Spouse.

After entering everything, we wanted to run a comparison between what that came up with and what would have resulted if we had instead filed Married Filing Separately (MFS).  I went to Forms and opened the What-If Worksheet (easy to get to by clicking Open Form and typing in "What" (without the quotes) and selecting What-If Worksheet).  I then checked the "MFJ vs MFS: Perform married filing joint versus married filing separate comparison" checkbox.

Unfortunately, that worksheet ignores the information I entered on who "owns" each number.  In other words, it doesn’t use that information that it has in its own database file.  What it does do is, it ignores the Taxpayer or Spouse designation and just adds the Taxpayer and Spouse numbers together, divides them by 2, and gives each person half.  So, in the worksheet, column 3 (Taxpayer MFS) has the same numbers as column 4 (Spouse MFS), which is totally wrong.  Here are examples of categories where it just sums everything up and divides by 2:

Taxable interest income

Tax exempt interest income

Total dividends

Qualified dividends

Taxable income tax refunds

Short-term Capital gains/losses

Long-term Capital gains/losses

Unrecap'd sec 1250

Capital gain or loss

AMT adjustments and preferences

AMT foreign tax credit

Foreign tax credit

Total investment income

Net investment income

Gifts to charity

There are probably other categories it does the same thing with, but I didn’t use them on our return.  At any rate, as a result, the numbers calculated for things like total income, itemized deductions, total taxes, and balance due were wrong.

It makes that worksheet useless for doing the comparison it claims to do, since anyone who actually filed MFS would use their own income, interest, dividends, etc., and not half of theirs and half of their spouses.

I even tried overriding the numbers in the worksheet to correct them, such as you can do in many other places, but it wouldn’t let me (the override option was greyed out).

I called TurboTax support, and spoke to a total of four people about this problem.  One of them didn’t understand the problem at all, one of them claimed that the numbers on the worksheet were correct, one of them agreed with me but didn’t have a solution (other than the ones in the next paragraph), and one of them agreed with me and suggested I come to this forum and suggest an enhancement request.  They said that besides getting feedback from other users, that TurboTax monitors the forum and would see the request.

Most of the suggestions I’ve read about on the internet or had suggested to me by TurboTax support, say the answer is to create two additional returns: one MFS return per person.  This requires either (1) creating two brand-new returns from scratch and reimporting or reentering data manually that was already previously imported or entered in the joint return, or (2) making two duplicate copies of the joint return and then changing the filing status to MFS and carefully deleting all data for the "other" person in each of those returns.  Obviously, if you create two additional returns, you can get the answer you want, but it just doesn’t make sense to have to do that when all the data is in the joint return already.  It takes a lot of additional time and effort, and is error-prone.

I’ve also seen suggestions for using TurboTax’s TaxCaster, but again, everything has to be re-entered and it’s not nearly as complete as an actual return.

If the What-If Worksheet would simply pay attention to who "owns" each item of interest, dividends, etc., and allocate them to the appropriate person’s column, all of that would be unnecessary.  Additionally, if you could override any of the numbers in the what-if columns, it would truly function as a what-if tool because you could try any numbers you wanted to see what effect they would have.

So to summarize, my proposal is for TurboTax to fix the What-If Worksheet so it pays attention to the Taxpayer/Spouse designations that were entered by the user and stored in its own database, and allocate those numbers correctly to the appropriate column in the worksheet.  Additionally, allow numbers in the What-If Worksheet to be overridden so it can truly be used as a What-If tool.

Your welcome, glad to help!

9 Replies

I can bring your post to the Lounge, hopefully there the TurboTax Moderators will see it & get in touch with you.  I will tell them you have enhancement suggestions.

Thank you, bluedeb.  I'll send it to you now as a private message -- which hopefully will get through!

hi @ItzRav , I received your private message & I posted your enhancement suggestion in the Lounge.  TurboTax Moderators do see the posts we enter, thank you for providing your suggestions.  TurboTax can always benefit from suggestions from people who use the software.  

Thank you, again.  Is the lounge an area I can look at myself, and if so, can you provide a link to it?

Sorry, you cannot access the Lounge but if you want I can copy & paste your enhancement here on your post.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that.  I'd like to hear feedback about my proposal from other people here.

OK, the following is your suggestion:

Subject:  Proposal for enhancement to fix the What-If Worksheet so it can actually be used to compare married filing jointly vs. married filing separately

Message body:

I’m using TurboTax 2018 Premier Desktop for PC.  We created a Married Filing Joint (MFJ) return, making sure when we were entering all the numbers that we specified which person (Taxpayer or Spouse) those numbers belonged to (we have separate bank accounts, separate investments, etc.).  So each separate item of interest, dividend, and other things was assigned to either the Taxpayer or the Spouse.

After entering everything, we wanted to run a comparison between what that came up with and what would have resulted if we had instead filed Married Filing Separately (MFS).  I went to Forms and opened the What-If Worksheet (easy to get to by clicking Open Form and typing in "What" (without the quotes) and selecting What-If Worksheet).  I then checked the "MFJ vs MFS: Perform married filing joint versus married filing separate comparison" checkbox.

Unfortunately, that worksheet ignores the information I entered on who "owns" each number.  In other words, it doesn’t use that information that it has in its own database file.  What it does do is, it ignores the Taxpayer or Spouse designation and just adds the Taxpayer and Spouse numbers together, divides them by 2, and gives each person half.  So, in the worksheet, column 3 (Taxpayer MFS) has the same numbers as column 4 (Spouse MFS), which is totally wrong.  Here are examples of categories where it just sums everything up and divides by 2:

Taxable interest income

Tax exempt interest income

Total dividends

Qualified dividends

Taxable income tax refunds

Short-term Capital gains/losses

Long-term Capital gains/losses

Unrecap'd sec 1250

Capital gain or loss

AMT adjustments and preferences

AMT foreign tax credit

Foreign tax credit

Total investment income

Net investment income

Gifts to charity

There are probably other categories it does the same thing with, but I didn’t use them on our return.  At any rate, as a result, the numbers calculated for things like total income, itemized deductions, total taxes, and balance due were wrong.

It makes that worksheet useless for doing the comparison it claims to do, since anyone who actually filed MFS would use their own income, interest, dividends, etc., and not half of theirs and half of their spouses.

I even tried overriding the numbers in the worksheet to correct them, such as you can do in many other places, but it wouldn’t let me (the override option was greyed out).

I called TurboTax support, and spoke to a total of four people about this problem.  One of them didn’t understand the problem at all, one of them claimed that the numbers on the worksheet were correct, one of them agreed with me but didn’t have a solution (other than the ones in the next paragraph), and one of them agreed with me and suggested I come to this forum and suggest an enhancement request.  They said that besides getting feedback from other users, that TurboTax monitors the forum and would see the request.

Most of the suggestions I’ve read about on the internet or had suggested to me by TurboTax support, say the answer is to create two additional returns: one MFS return per person.  This requires either (1) creating two brand-new returns from scratch and reimporting or reentering data manually that was already previously imported or entered in the joint return, or (2) making two duplicate copies of the joint return and then changing the filing status to MFS and carefully deleting all data for the "other" person in each of those returns.  Obviously, if you create two additional returns, you can get the answer you want, but it just doesn’t make sense to have to do that when all the data is in the joint return already.  It takes a lot of additional time and effort, and is error-prone.

I’ve also seen suggestions for using TurboTax’s TaxCaster, but again, everything has to be re-entered and it’s not nearly as complete as an actual return.

If the What-If Worksheet would simply pay attention to who "owns" each item of interest, dividends, etc., and allocate them to the appropriate person’s column, all of that would be unnecessary.  Additionally, if you could override any of the numbers in the what-if columns, it would truly function as a what-if tool because you could try any numbers you wanted to see what effect they would have.

So to summarize, my proposal is for TurboTax to fix the What-If Worksheet so it pays attention to the Taxpayer/Spouse designations that were entered by the user and stored in its own database, and allocate those numbers correctly to the appropriate column in the worksheet.  Additionally, allow numbers in the What-If Worksheet to be overridden so it can truly be used as a What-If tool.

Thanks again, bluedeb.

Your welcome, glad to help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies