turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gdjohnson

How do I show tax exempt dividends With no ordinary dividends to declare

I'm asked to enter same amt.as ordinary dividends
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

The process is similar for TurboTax Online and TurboTax Desktop. In Personal Income, click Dividends on 1099-DIV under Interest and Dividends.

In the online version, this is how it is entered:

You will be asked what state the tax exempt dividends are from.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@gdjohnson   @PattiF 

However...there is a BUG in the online software if that is the only box you are entering $$ for.

For  some reason, if you are only entering box 11 $$ on a 1099-DIV form, you must at least have a zero entered in box 1a. 

(haven't tested all the other boxes yet)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
PattiF
Expert Alumni

I had tried this in Desktop and there is not a problem with that entry. But, then I tested it in online and see that tax exempt dividends can't be entered unless there is a $0 in box 1a. I'll report this.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@PattiF    Yes, Online software only

Another TTX Expert in a different post said they are reporting this....(at least I thought so....now I can't find it.)

There is, Now, also this FAQ which seems to imply it's being worked on...though it doesn't give the workaround...so maybe report it anyhow.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/1099-div-with-exempt-interest-income-shows-needs-r...

I did further testing for $$ in box 11.....must also have at least an actual zero in any one of boxes 1a, or 2a, or 3, or 10.

Figure that one out? 

I am just amused !

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
gdjohnson

I entered $0 in box 1a and it still did not work. Got a message that said "Box 1b should be less than or equal to Box 1a". I give up, not using Turbo Tax ! 

yeah.....that is true....if there is a real value in 1b, then 1a does have to be greater or equal to 1b.

...if 1b was bank before ....maybe they were working on a software fix to the 1a issue, but it introduced a second requirement. 

That's life.  I never fully expect the software to be working properly in all sections until March .  This year is worse because of the Ridiculously Late bill passed in DC, which took away significant resources to correct normal minor bugs.

Do what you think is best for YOU.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies