turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get to the "Here are your filing options" screen? I can't find it and I don't want to file my state taxes yet.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnInSF

How do I get to the "Here are your filing options" screen? I can't find it and I don't want to file my state taxes yet.

The "Expert" gave you a lot of info that doesn't seem to fit your question.  The way I read your question, you've already pretty much completed your returns and may just need guidance on a couple of steps.  I'm using the Premiere edition on a PC, so I hope what I find works for you.

In the main taskbar at the top, choose "FILE", then in the lower level taskbar, choose "File a Return".  This will give you a screen titled "E-File Your Federal Return for FREE".  That's where you pick E-file or mail for the federal return only.   There's no mention of the state return here, but that's on the next screen after choosing "Continue".  That's where you can choose "Do not e-file my state return....".  Continue from here to e-file the federal return, after which you may either print the state return for mailing or come back to it at another time if you want to e-file it. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

You will find this option when you are going through the process of filing your tax return.

When you go through the filing process you will come to a question How would you like to pay your Federal Taxes?   

Proceed through the questions and set up your Installment agreement.

If you've already filed you can contact the IRS. 

You can call toll-free at 1-800-829-1040 or visit a Taxpayer Assistance Center Local IRS Office

It would be wise to adjust your withholdings so that you don't end up in this predicament next year.

The W-4 communicates to your employer(s) how much federal and/or state tax you, and your spouse wish to have withheld from each paycheck in a pay period.

1. Start at Other Tax Situations
  2. Scroll down and select Other Tax Forms
  3. Select Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes
  4. Start entering your W-4
  5. Continue through the screens to
    1. Enter Your 2021 W-2 Wage Information
    2. Did you enter the estimated current withholding or did you leave it blank?
  6. Also be sure that the information for what you earned so far and the payment periods are correct.

These areas may have caused some of the excess withholding.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JohnInSF

The "Expert" gave you a lot of info that doesn't seem to fit your question.  The way I read your question, you've already pretty much completed your returns and may just need guidance on a couple of steps.  I'm using the Premiere edition on a PC, so I hope what I find works for you.

In the main taskbar at the top, choose "FILE", then in the lower level taskbar, choose "File a Return".  This will give you a screen titled "E-File Your Federal Return for FREE".  That's where you pick E-file or mail for the federal return only.   There's no mention of the state return here, but that's on the next screen after choosing "Continue".  That's where you can choose "Do not e-file my state return....".  Continue from here to e-file the federal return, after which you may either print the state return for mailing or come back to it at another time if you want to e-file it. 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

As you look at your return, press file on the left hand side of your screen. Review the first step where it asks you how you wish to pay your Turbo Tax fees unless you have the free version.  Go to step 2, it gives an option on how you wish to receive your refund or pay your taxes assuming if this is what you are talking about.

Thanks!

You're spot on.  I had already flown through the payment process and assumed that I would provide my preferences for filing each form once I got to the very end.  So yes, I was at the very last step before e-filing before I realized that I couldn't, at that point, avoid sending them all out at the same time.

Thank you for the assistance!

Wayne

Thank you everyone for the help!

I am responding to this for those that are filing using the online version.  As the screen that is suppose to say “Here are your filing options” did not exist for me and I don’t think I’m alone.  This is what worked for me...

When you click File there are 3 steps.  You will have to enter your payment info for the TurboTax Fee in Step 1,  confirm your direct deposit/paper check for refunds in Step 2 (or, I’m assuming, your payment info if you owe). But don’t worry nothing gets submitted on either of these steps, even though it feels like you’re going to miss the step to change your state filing status.

When you get to Step 3 in the filing process, click Start. The next Screen should say, “Let’s Get Ready to e-file” at the top. Through trial and error, I discovered you click “File by Mail”. The next screen then has the “Change” option for federal and state forms. Change your state form to “I’m not ready to file”. 

Hope this helps anyone that was looking for the “Here are your filing options” screen as TurboTax online instructed incorrectly.

yuhhgurll

This is exactly what I was looking for. I hope Turbo Tax sees this and changed their software. I am using the IRS free file version. 

tubecall1
Returning Member

I don't pay state ,I need to file Fed.

tubecall1
Returning Member

I filed 2020 by paper mail, need to file 2022

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@tubecall1  If you're using TurboTax Online, refer to this user's post for help with filing your Federal and not State.  For the CD/Download software, you can go here.  If this is not the issue you need help with, please reply to this thread with more detail so we can further assist you.

Additional ReferenceI don't want to file my state - Intuit

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies