Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I fix Reject Code F8863-528-03?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

need help fixing my taxes 

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

You need to check the entries you made when claiming the education credit.

Reject Code F8863-528-03 indicates that a particular student listed on Form 8863, Education Credits (American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Credits), has already had their Social Security Number (SSN) used on a Form 8863 on another person’s tax return.  

Make sure that the student’s last name and SSN are correct on the return you submitted for e-file.  If a correction can be made, do so.  But if there’s no correction to be made, the student’s information can’t be used for the credit on an e-filed return.  

You can e-file your return without claiming the education credit for the person listed on Form 8863, or you can file a paper return claiming the student for the credit.

@Babygirl 2

@ivoreehernandez

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon at the lower left

**Mark the post that best answers your question by clicking on “Mark as Best Answer”

I am a parent (father) filing married jointly, with daughter in first year of college doing my taxes through turbo tax desktop version. I have all the info including SSN, first and last name everything correct but there's rejection from Federal (and hence by the state). While going through last minute smart check and all, Turbo tax does not give me any errors at all but Federal and State rejects my returns. My daughter does not work, full time student and does not file her own taxes, she is shown as dependent on my taxes. I am now thinking of printing my returns and mailing them to The Fed as well as the state

Any thoughts or Advises?

What if the SSN is CORRECT and i still get error?   how is this fixable?   no one has filled out taxes, so how would it already be used?  Can i get a walk through of EXACTLY what to do and fix?

I spent 2 hours on the phone with TurboTax experts last night with the same error code. We couldn’t find any issues anywhere. She finally suggested printing off the returns, adding a note explaining the situation, and mailing them in. Today I’m seeing that there an actual form to fill out for this situation, but they still have to be mailed rather than e-filed. 

Here’s some information I found on this. Hope it helps!

F8863-528-03

Solution

The value represents the student who is causing the rejection. The error is stating that the student's SSN has already been claimed for the Form 8863 credit on another tax return; therefore, they cannot be claimed again for the same credit. If you receive this rejection, review the Student's SSN and Last Name fields in the Eligible student informationstatement on the Educate screen, in the Educate folder. If the Student's SSN and Last Name are incorrect, update the data entry, and re-create and resubmit the electronic file. if the Student's SSN and Last Name are correct, then the return will need to be filed on paper with Form 8948. You can contact the IRS e-help desk at 866. 255. O654 for more information.

As advised by one of the family friends who works in Tax industry, I am going to visit the local IRS office and see if someone has actually used my daughter's SSN on his/her Tax forms, this is highly unlikely but I have been told that local IRS agents can check that for you and can issue a PIN to you in there's identity theft. I willpost as I get any progress in this case.

Nicole B

Hello!  Did you ever get this resolved?  I’m dealing with this exact same issue right now and want to know if I have any other options before going the paper route. TIA!

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Just verify that your entries are correct, as I suggest in my 4/14/2022 post above. 

But if you've input everything correctly, your return will continue to reject.  You'll need to paper-file your return if you want to claim the credit.

If someone else has used your child's number for the credit on their return, which is apparently what's happened, the IRS won't allow you to electronically file as long as your return claims this child for the credit. It's in their database for the year now.

@Nicole B 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies