Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter 1099-S in Turbo Tax Deluxe cd version?

I'm using the CD deluxe version. The Investment Income section (where is said to enter second homes etc.) mentions 1009-S, but the process proceeds as if a stock sale. I'm never prompted to enter details from the 1099-S.  I need to report proceeds from the sale of vacant land, but I'm not able to get past the 1099-B section to enter the 1099-S.

Screenshot 2021-02-14 230906.jpg

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

There is not a specific entry screen  for the 1099-S.  The sale of land is considered the sale of an investment. 

You can report the sale in TurboTax using these steps:

1. Click on Federal Taxes > Wages & Income
  2. In the Investment Income section click on the Start/Revisit box next to Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.  
  3. [If you have already entered some investment sales, you will see a screen Here's the investment sales info we have so far.  Click on the Add More Sales link.]  
  4. Answer Yes on the Did you sell any investments in 2020? screen.
  5. Answer No on the “Did you get a 1099-B or a brokerage statement for these sales?” screen.
  6. The next screen is “Tell us about this sale”. Mark the radio button next to I’ll enter one sale at a time
  7. On the screen, Tell us about this sale, enter the total sales proceeds as well as the other information requested.  [See Screenshot #1, below.]
  8. Continue to the screen, Select any less common adjustments that apply.  (In TurboTax Online: Let us know if any of these situations apply to this sale)
  9. Mark the first box The reported sales price did not deduct all fees or selling expenses.  [Screenshot #2]
  10. Enter the sales expenses not deducted from the sales price entered earlier.

Screenshot #1

Screenshot #2

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

There is not a specific entry screen  for the 1099-S.  The sale of land is considered the sale of an investment. 

You can report the sale in TurboTax using these steps:

1. Click on Federal Taxes > Wages & Income
  2. In the Investment Income section click on the Start/Revisit box next to Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.  
  3. [If you have already entered some investment sales, you will see a screen Here's the investment sales info we have so far.  Click on the Add More Sales link.]  
  4. Answer Yes on the Did you sell any investments in 2020? screen.
  5. Answer No on the “Did you get a 1099-B or a brokerage statement for these sales?” screen.
  6. The next screen is “Tell us about this sale”. Mark the radio button next to I’ll enter one sale at a time
  7. On the screen, Tell us about this sale, enter the total sales proceeds as well as the other information requested.  [See Screenshot #1, below.]
  8. Continue to the screen, Select any less common adjustments that apply.  (In TurboTax Online: Let us know if any of these situations apply to this sale)
  9. Mark the first box The reported sales price did not deduct all fees or selling expenses.  [Screenshot #2]
  10. Enter the sales expenses not deducted from the sales price entered earlier.

Screenshot #1

Screenshot #2

Thank you so much for the quick response!  I was able to follow the steps you outlined, really appreciate your feedback.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies