turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tholevas

How do I convert old tax files from Mac to PC?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

TurboTax data files (with the .taxXXXX extension - e.g., .tax2018) are compatible with either the Mac or Pc versions on TurboTax; you do not need to convert them.

tholevas

Thanks for that response.  The file is compatible, that helps.  So this year I will buy Turbo Tax for Windows instead of Turbo Tax for Mac.  After I install the Windows product on my new computer, how do I get it to find my prior year's return (which is on my Mac) so that all of my personal data and rollovers, etc., will be uploaded into my new return which will now be Windows based?

Again, thank you for your help.

How to transfer into Windows Desktop

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/transfer-last-year-s-return-to-turbotax-fo...

Expand the link on Transferring from Mac.

You need to copy the tax file ending in .tax2018 from the Mac to Windows.  How to find the tax file,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/find-your-tax-data-file-in-mac/00/26206

If you are moving to a Mac from Windows or to Windows from Mac you will need to install the right program.  If you have the CD it has both windows and Mac programs on it.  If you downloaded the program you might need to call in and ask for the other download.  Unless you have both downloads in your account already.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies