Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I add a personal explanation in my return

How can I add and explanation to my tax return to explain why I can't afford to pay my taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

No explanation would be read. You can arrange a payment plan. 

https://www.irs.gov/payments/payment-plans-installment-agreements

Sorry, I didn't ask if it would be read or not.  Do you know he answer to my question?  I don't see how your response is relevant to my question.  

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

You cannot add an explanation to your tax return (primarily because they wouldn't be read as there are separate channels for those types of communication.)

There are options, however, if you cannot afford to pay your taxes and you want to be sure that you file timely (or request an extension) to avoid adding additional penalties and interest to the balance.)  

You can request an installment agreement, which TurboTax will do for you on the payment page or you can do separately by following the instructions HERE.  

There is also a formal process to request an offer of less than the total amount owed to settle the debt known as an Offer-in-Compromise.  Depending on the amount owed and other tax history, there could be other options available to you.  Your best bet would be to find a tax professional experienced in collections matters near you, or perhaps to reach out to the Tax Advocate office assigned to cover your area.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies