turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I get estimated payment vouchers for 2019 if returns are already filed/printed?

I am self employed.  I prepared and e-filed my 2018 Federal return and printed my State return for mailing this year and did not receive any estimated tax vouchers for 2019 along with the copy of my completed returns.  Because the returns are now filed/printed I cannot access the program again to enter information to calculate estimated payment amounts for this year.  How can I get this information?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I get estimated payment vouchers for 2019 if returns are already filed/printed?

You can get back into your return to print 2019 estimated taxes after filing but you will want to be careful not to change anything besides the estimated tax section.  Here is how -
  1. Log into your account (make sure correct username)
  2. On your Tax Homepage, scroll down to the section entitled “Your Tax Returns and Documents"
  3. Click "Add a State” below where your tax returns are showing (this will allow you back into your return without actually adding a state)
  4. This should bring you back into your return and you will land on the homepage welcome screen
  5. If you don’t have to make any adjustments and you just need to print the forms, then go to Tax Tools and click on Print Center - Follow the prompts to download a new pdf and you can select the 1040 ES forms for printing.
  6. If you do need to make adjustments, then click Federal taxes > Other Tax Situations > Other Tax Forms > Form W4 and Estimated Taxes (or use the search feature and search for "W4" and click the jump to link).
  7. Follow the prompts and you will be asked a series of questions.  The program will base the estimated payments off this years return, but if you anticipate having more or less income next year or if there will be other life changes (i.e you won't be able to claim a dependent anymore), then you can make those adjustments.  Pay close attention to all the screens in this section because if you leave out an item, i.e. other taxes you have withheld from any W2 jobs you will have in 2019, it can make a big difference on your estimated tax payments

8. Also, make sure you mark that you want the estimated tax forms to print with your return - there will be a question that asks you this 
  9. After your adjustments, go to Tax Tools and then Print Center to print fresh return that will include the new 2019 Form 1040ES forms. 

After this, you will have four quarterly vouchers that you can use to submit estimated tax payments.  Also, these vouchers are for your convenience, you can make the payments directly online (make sure you indicate they are for 2019 ES payments) and you can adjust the amount of the payment (higher or lower) during the year depending on anticipated income. 

You can also get these vouchers directly from the IRS and make the payments if you ever lose the vouchers TurboTax prints up or you decide to change the amount.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf  (payment vouchers are on pages 9-11)

View solution in original post

8 Replies

You can get back into your return to print 2019 estimated taxes after filing but you will want to be careful not to change anything besides the estimated tax section.  Here is how -
  1. Log into your account (make sure correct username)
  2. On your Tax Homepage, scroll down to the section entitled “Your Tax Returns and Documents"
  3. Click "Add a State” below where your tax returns are showing (this will allow you back into your return without actually adding a state)
  4. This should bring you back into your return and you will land on the homepage welcome screen
  5. If you don’t have to make any adjustments and you just need to print the forms, then go to Tax Tools and click on Print Center - Follow the prompts to download a new pdf and you can select the 1040 ES forms for printing.
  6. If you do need to make adjustments, then click Federal taxes > Other Tax Situations > Other Tax Forms > Form W4 and Estimated Taxes (or use the search feature and search for "W4" and click the jump to link).
  7. Follow the prompts and you will be asked a series of questions.  The program will base the estimated payments off this years return, but if you anticipate having more or less income next year or if there will be other life changes (i.e you won't be able to claim a dependent anymore), then you can make those adjustments.  Pay close attention to all the screens in this section because if you leave out an item, i.e. other taxes you have withheld from any W2 jobs you will have in 2019, it can make a big difference on your estimated tax payments

8. Also, make sure you mark that you want the estimated tax forms to print with your return - there will be a question that asks you this 
  9. After your adjustments, go to Tax Tools and then Print Center to print fresh return that will include the new 2019 Form 1040ES forms. 

After this, you will have four quarterly vouchers that you can use to submit estimated tax payments.  Also, these vouchers are for your convenience, you can make the payments directly online (make sure you indicate they are for 2019 ES payments) and you can adjust the amount of the payment (higher or lower) during the year depending on anticipated income. 

You can also get these vouchers directly from the IRS and make the payments if you ever lose the vouchers TurboTax prints up or you decide to change the amount.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf  (payment vouchers are on pages 9-11)

This worked very well--thank you so much!

when I scroll down to I cannot find a link to "add a state"

The other "add a state" instructions are no longer good during the transition period ...

The ONLINE  system has permanently closed and is presently in transition from 2018 to 2019 versions.  

While the millions of returns are being archived the PDF download for tax year 2018 will only include the forms and schedules needed to file your tax return.  The worksheets and other pages are not included in the PDF until the 2019 online editions become available sometime in December 2019.

To access the PDF, log into the website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

Here are the blank Estimates and instructions…..
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf 

The 1040ES quarterly estimates are due April 15, 2019, June 17, Sept 16 and Jan 15, 2020.  Your state will also have their own estimate forms.

Or you can pay directly on the IRS website https://www.irs.gov/payments 
Be sure to pick the right kind of payment and year.....2019 Estimate

I just finished my taxes for 2019 and I want to print vouchers for estimated taxes for 2020 but I can't

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

You can download the IRS Form 1040ES payment vouchers here. The vouchers are at the end of the instructions. 

If you want the printed vouchers, you will need to go back into the TurboTax program. Do not change any figures in the program except for the vouchers.

• After you sign in to TurboTax, in the 2019 section click on Add a State
  • Ignore the setup questions and click on Federal in the left-hand menu.
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down and click on Other Tax Forms
  • Click on Start or Revisit on W-4 and Estimated Taxes

Walkthrough and answer the questions. Then go to Tax Tools on the left, then Print Center to print.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CC29016

Is there a way to do this for my state estimated tax vouchers for 2020? We got the federal ones from the printed version, but each time i try to redo it and follow the instructions (ie add a state, go to print center), i don't get the option to add estimated tax vouchers for my state. 

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

It may be faster to just download the estimated tax vouchers from your state.

Do an Internet search for [your state] forms and instructions. For every state, one of the first hits will be the webpage with your state's forms and instructions.

Scroll through the forms looking for your state's 2020 estimated taxes vouchers.

Or, conversely, you can tell us what state you are in, and we'll look it up for you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies