turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gfg1
Level 1

How am I supposed to file an extension with TT? Easy Extension Tool does not exist.

The issue: I cannot submit my tax returns by May 2021. I need to file an extension.

This website claims I can e-file an extension for free using an "online tool" called TurboTax Easy Extension, but the provided link is just a page telling me that I can file an extension using Turbo Tax Easy Extension. All the links on that page lead to more pages containing links that lead back to the first page. There is no "online tool" that lets me e-file an extension, it's just a closed loop of articles redirected at one another.

Also, I own a copy of TurboTax 2020 deluxe and I can't find a way to file an extension with that thing either.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

How am I supposed to file an extension with TT? Easy Extension Tool does not exist.

When you log in or create a TurboTax Online account, the left hand menu will give you the option to 'File an Extension' which will open the Easy Extension Tool.

Using this method will allow you to file your extension electronically.

You can also create an extension using the CD/downloaded version of TurboTax Deluxe that you already have.  You will have to mail the extension using this method.  See the following TurboTax article for more details and instructions:

How do I file an IRS extension (Form 4868) in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

19 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

When you log in or create a TurboTax Online account, the left hand menu will give you the option to 'File an Extension' which will open the Easy Extension Tool.

You can also create an extension using the CD/downloaded version of TurboTax Deluxe that you already have.  You will have to mail the extension using this method.  See the following TurboTax article for more details and instructions:

How do I file an IRS extension (Form 4868) in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

@gfg1 

You can get Form 4868 from the IRS at www.irs.gov now.

You don’t need to file Form 4868 if you make a payment using the IRS
electronic payment options. Your extension will be automatically
processed when you pay part or all of your estimated income tax
electronically and indicate that the payment is for an extension. You can pay online or by phone.

gfg1
Level 1

thank you this is the information I need!

If want to do it directly at IRS by making payment the link is https://www.irs.gov/payments

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

When you log in or create a TurboTax Online account, the left hand menu will give you the option to 'File an Extension' which will open the Easy Extension Tool.

How do I file an IRS extension (Form 4868) in the TurboTax CD/Download software? @gfg1 

leitman22

if i get an extension with / from the irs will you be able to use it ?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Yes.  No matter where or how you file your extension, it will be on file with the IRS.  You can then use any tax software or provider to file your return.  

@leitman22 

I tried to use the extension tool, but after entering the necessary information, I was taken to a screen that required me to register for the free edition or purchase Turbo Tax (which I already have).

Update: I see it's possible to navigate to another screen. However, now the extension won't transmit. It keeps returning a message "We've hit a snag". Honestly, this is ridiculous. I can't see why this function isn't part of TurboTax itself.

When I log in to my account, the left hand menu does not give me the option to use an East Extension Tool.  I there anyway to fix this or file an extension a different way through TurboTax?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You can try this link.    The only reason I can think of why you do not have the link in the left menu is that you are using the IRS affiliate program - Free File.     If you are using Free File (not Free Edition) - you can create a TurboTax Free Edition account to file the extension, although that is probably more work than necessary.   Otherwise, sign in to your Free File account and search for 4868 or extension.  

The 2021 Tax Deadline Extension: Everything You Need to Know     @heinemanm

Free Edition is not the same as Free File

You can also get an extension by paying all or part of your estimated income tax due and indicate that the payment is for an extension using Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS), or a credit or debit card. This way you won’t have to file a separate extension form and you will receive a confirmation number for your records.

Disappointing that you can't e-file directly from Turbo Tax Deluxe (or other paid for versions).

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You can file an extension within the program itself.

1. Log back into your TurboTax account  and go to the federal section
  2. Select Other Tax Situations at the top of the screen
  3. Scroll down to Other Tax Forms
  4. Select File an Extension
  5. Proceed to answer the questions and follow the prompts to file your extension and make your tax payments

Extension requests in downloaded software

Extension requests using the online software

@aufderha3

Incorrect info @JotikaT2.  Try clicking the link you provided and read the instructions.   "Follow the onscreen instructions to prepare, print, and mail your 4868 form."  No way to e-file in the desktop software version this thread is talking about.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

To file an extension, here are the steps:

• Sign back into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box , type in extension and Enter 
  • Select Jump to extension
  • Follow prompts

Generally, the due date for this tax season is May 17.  If you request and are granted an extension, you typically have until October 15 to file you tax return.  For  more information about extension, click here: Extension

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies