The federal tax filing deadline for tax year 2019 has been extended to July 15, 2020, due to Coronavirus (COVID-19). Go here for more information about how taxes have been affected.
An extension doesn't give you extra time to pay your taxes, which are due July 15, 2020. (At this time, we're still awaiting guidance for U.S. citizens or resident aliens who will be out of the country on July 15.) But even if you can't pay your taxes by the deadline, file an extension anyway so you can avoid the late-filing penalty.
In the TurboTax CD/Download software, you can paper-file your IRS extension (Form 4868) by doing this:
- With your return open, search for extend inside the program.
- Select the Jump to link at the top of your search results.
- Answer Yes on the Applying for an Extension screen and continue.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to prepare, print, and mail your 4868 form.
Other ways to file your 4868
- Download and print Form 4868 from the IRS website. Make sure you postmark it before midnight on July 15. Complete mailing instructions are on the printout.
- If you have a U.S. or APO/FPO/DPO address, you can also e-file your extension with our free TurboTax Easy Extension service (available seasonally).