Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, In January 2019, I was working full time making 55k a year. I decided to go back to school in October 2019. Am I considered a dependent of my parents?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Hi, In January 2019, I was working full time making 55k a year. I decided to go back to school in October 2019. Am I considered a dependent of my parents?

1)   For 2019 taxes...almost certainly not a dependent  (your age at the end of the year has meaning here, but I suspect you are age 19 or older by 31 Dec 2019) .  And, if under age 24, you must have been a full-time student in college for at least  5 months of 2019 in order for your earnings to be ignored.....and you made more than $4200 in 2019.

2) For 2020, if you still are under age 24 by the end of 2020, and full time in college for at least 5 months, they could claim you as a dependent if they provide  more than half your support during the year (ignoring scholarships and grants)...but there are subtleties to the support determination.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Here's the list of dependency rules for your parents  (living at the college counts as living at home).

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent/01/267...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies