turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marlenne_28
Returning Member

Hi can the other parent claim the child if they already filed their taxes this year? I did not work and would like the other parent to claim the child

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
WHATIKNOW

Hi can the other parent claim the child if they already filed their taxes this year? I did not work and would like the other parent to claim the child

Taxes can be amended, so they can amend their taxes to change something.  I don't know of any legal ramifications but I don't think there will be a problem if you're okay with them claiming the child for 2023 since you're not working.

marlenne_28
Returning Member

I heard I don't get the full $1,600 for the child I only get $310 state refund since I didn't work

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If you didn't work, were you still able to supply more than half the support for you and your child? 

Does the other parent live with you? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
marlenne_28
Returning Member

Yes I am and he does not live with him

marlenne_28
Returning Member

He helps me with his expenses as well 

marlenne_28
Returning Member

I'm worried about why I don't qualify for the $1,600 payment I usually get for my child in previous year tax claim, or do I qualify anyways if I didn't work this year. Someone told me the parent who claims the child has to get an X amount of money to get the full amount of the child dependent parent.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Yes and no.

The FULL amount is $2,000. If you don't have a tax liability (which you wouldn't since you did not work) you get the "Additional Child Tax Credit" instead which is a refund of $1,600.

So yes, you would get the full 1,600 even if you didn't work.

No, you would not get the full 2,000. 

marlenne_28
Returning Member

I see now that makes sense to me , thank you for clarifying this to me , how much does it cost for me to do this on turbo tax to get the $1,600 refund , how much is it with help from expert 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Which state do you live in?

The IRS started a new free service that might work for you, but it is limited this year to certain states. 

HERE is a link for that. 

marlenne_28
Returning Member

in other words the other parent would possibly qualify for $3,600 for the child if  since he works and has not taxes owed and I would just get $1,600 since I didn't work? let me know if I understood that correctly not the best at math ahahah 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can't split tax credits between parents; it is all or none.    It is unlikely the IRS would inquire about the other parent claiming the child unless you made the complaint.  In 2023, the tax credit will be refundable only up to $1,600, depending on your income. You must have earned income of at least $2,500 to be eligible for the $1600 refund.    You should do some test returns in TurboTax - you don't pay for anything until you file.   Only one of you can claim the dependent and in a case where both parents qualify, use the option that provides the most tax benefit.    Child Tax Credit details

marlenne_28
Returning Member

Got it do scholarships from school count as earned income? 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Scholarships do not count as earned income.

See this TurboTax Help.

@marlenne_28 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies