turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Health Coverage in Massachusetts

My son is living in Massachusetts, but is covered under my insurance. I live in New York.  All I have a is a 1095-C which does list him as covered.  But, we have no 1095-HC.   How does he file is his Massachusetts return without the 1095-HC?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

Only the 1095-A needs to be entered on your return from insurance purchased through the marketplace. If you received a different 1095 form, such as one from employer benefits, you do not need to enter anything on your return. It is for your records only.

The 1095-HC is only sent for plans in MassHealth. If he was covered through your employer, he will not receive 1095-HC. He just needs to indicate that he had minimum essential coverage on his Massachusetts return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

From my back and forth with him, it sounds like turbo tax for Massachusetts only supports entry of the 1095-HC and wouldn't let him do electronic submission of the return.

thanks for your help!!!

For his MA tax return, enter the insurance company name and your subscriber number, but leave the federal identification number blank. Check the box "I didn't receive a 1099-HC from this insurance company".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies