Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Glitch in Form 7206

In order to take a closer look at this situation, it would be helpful to have a diagnostic tax data file from a user experiencing the issue.  

The diagnostic file will not contain personally identifiable information, only numbers related to your tax forms.  If you would like to provide us with the diagnostic file, follow the instructions below and post the token number along with which version of TurboTax you are using and what states you are filing in a follow-up thread.

Use these steps if you are using TurboTax Online:

• Sign in to your account and be sure you are in your tax return.
  • Select Tax Tools in the menu to the left.
  • Select Tools.
  • Select Share my file with agent.
  • A pop-up message will appear, select OK to send the sanitized diagnostic copy to us.
  • Post the token number here. 

If you are using a CD/downloaded version of TurboTax, use these steps:

• Select Online at the top of the screen.
  • Select Send Tax File to Agent.
  • Click OK.
  • Post the token number here.

@TC1079 

@iusdcm1 

@SS77771 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Glitch in Form 7206

Diagnosic file 1200850

I am in Florida, no state return

Desktop version

See how form 7206 gets included in the filing even though I only have one source of self employment income. Also, line 14 of form 7206 does not agree to schedule 1 line 17. 
There is no way to delete form 7206, once deleted it reappears. 

Glitch in Form 7206

Hello,

I am experiencing the same issue with Form 7206 as these other folks. I'm using TT Home & Business Desktop. I have a single business to which all of the self employed health insurance deduction is applied. The insurance is through a marketplace, and there was a small amount of PTC which is actually being repaid with this return. As I read the IRS instructions for Form 7206, I have none of the conditions that require it to be filed, and should be using the Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction Worksheet. Like the others here, the correct amount is shown on my Schedule 1, but the amount isn't shown on Form 7206 though there is the note of explanation at the bottom, and this is the source of everyone's concern I believe. Just for my own information, I created an "experimental" copy of the return and tried manually entering the amount into Form 7206 which made it look as I would expect but was then automatically added to the pre-existing amount on Schedule 1, which made that number incorrect.

If someone in authority could definitively say that the Form 7206 in these circumstances is only informational and will not be included in the eFiled information, I think that would give us all some measure of reassurance. Like the others, I don't understand why you'd bother including in where it isn't necessary, but if you're going to regardless it should at least be completed correctly. Barring that, at least telling us that it isn't being sent to the IRS to potentially cause confusion would be a start.

So what I'd really like to know is: 1) whether there's going to be some sort of update soon that will address this problem; and 2) whether it is definitively correct that everything shown in the "Forms only" preview that you get before eFiling is actually included in the information sent to the IRS, or if it's actually all the forms completed as part of the TT interview, which are then edited to only the applicable ones for each situation before transmitting to the IRS.

Many thanks for your help.

Glitch in Form 7206

Thank you, @AnnetteB6

My token # is 1201165, and I am using TurboTax Online.

I don't believe I should need to file a Form 7206 at all, but it won't delete.  That said, to the extent Form 7206 must get filed, please note it is blank (no entry) on Lines 1 and 3, when it should show my 1095-A Marketplace premiums as a self-employed sole proprietor.  As a result of the no data entries, Form 7206 Line 14 is $0 - which is incorrect.   My Schedule 1 Line 17 is correct (links to my 1095-A), but that amount should match to Form 7206 Line 14.

Glitch in Form 7206

When I go to the “Printer Center” and check the box entitled, “All official forms required for filing,” it lists the Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction form (Form 7206). From that, it seems clear to me that the form will be sent to the IRS if I E-File.

In my case, I think Form 7206 is required, but I believe the numbers that TurboTax generates are wrong. To confirm my suspicions, I generated another tax return using an IRS approved free file tax filing service. Lo and behold, the Form 7206 generated by the free file service actually was filled out in a manner consistent with Schedule 1.  Specifically, lines 1 and 3 were filled in and the amount on line 14 was the same as the amount on Schedule 1, line 17.

If TurboTax does not address these issues in a manner satisfactory to me, I plan to either use the free file service, or to file the TurboTax return by mail. If I file by mail, I can fill out a Form 7206 on the IRS website and discard the 7206 form that TurboTax is generating.

Glitch in Form 7206

Yeah, that wording definitely seems to negate my idea that maybe not every form in the print preview gets submitted. In the meantime, I’ve been poking around and *may* have found something of an explanation. Most of the folks in this thread are worried about filing what seems like a clearly incorrect form 7206. One of the posters though, @JB923 , seems to have had a correct 7206 but has had his attempted eFile rejected. That led me down a rabbit hole trying to rundown all the forms & publications mentioned by the TT Experts in this forum, and I discovered that one of them (Pub 974) is still only a draft on the IRS website. This publication includes worksheets for folks with both the Self Employed Health Insurance Deduction and PTC, which includes my situation. So if the IRS hasn’t finalized them yet, it’s no wonder TT can’t either, and maybe that means that any return which does/might rely on Pub 974 can’t be finalized either. (What is mysterious is why TT can’t provide a message that states the problem in understandable language.) Anyway, @JB923 says his error message gives a date of March 8 for the fix, so hopefully there will be an update by then that will address the issue. TT Experts, if you care to comment I know we’d all be grateful…

Glitch in Form 7206

I sent AnnetteB6 my diagnostic file so hopefully Turbo Tax is looking into it. 

I thought someone said form 7206 is correct in the online version, but not sure because I use desktop.  

Glitch in Form 7206

Hi @AnnetteB6 

Do you think we'll be hearing back sometime soon?  I'd like to file my taxes.

Thanks

Glitch in Form 7206

Hi @AnnetteB6 

The token number was provided a week ago.  Are you able to confirm receipt and that it's being looked at?  It's been crickets ever since.

Glitch in Form 7206

Any updates on this from Turbo Tax?  This seems to be a software issue and not a user issue, as it seems like a lot of people are having this issue on both the desktop and online versions.

Glitch in Form 7206

@AnnetteB6 I submitted by diagnostic file 2 weeks ago.  Any update on why form 7206 is populating and why it is incorrect and does not tie to schedule 1?

Glitch in Form 7206

@AnnetteB6 

Let me add that I am having the same issue.

If you search my user id, you will find a thread called "Form 7206" where there is a detailed description of the situation.

This has got to be affecting tens if not hundreds of thousands of people. Can we please get someone in this thread on the technical side who can explain what is going on and if TurboTax is being reprogrammed to deal with it?  I would hate to have to paper file a workaround.

Glitch in Form 7206

I have tried to update several times. But I still have same problem.

Glitch in Form 7206

My token # is 1210195.

Please fix and send me the solution as soon as possible. 

I don't have time.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Glitch in Form 7206

Take a look at the following TurboTax help article and click the link to register your email address for notifications as this situation is addressed:

Why is TurboTax adding an incomplete Form 7206 when I'm not required to file it?

@TC1079 

@JClay91 

@SS77771 

@iusdcm1 

@dsmccar 

@ghong 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies