turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Getting Illinois tax return rejected due to missing IL PIN number. Can not find where that number can be add to my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies
SandraM

Getting Illinois tax return rejected due to missing IL PIN number. Can not find where that number can be add to my return?

Please follow the steps below to enter your IP PIN.  

1. Go to Federal Tax tab 
  2. Select "Other tax situations"
  3. Choose the IP PIN selection
  4. Enter the correct IP PIN information and resubmit your return

If the IP PIN is not entered, you cannot electronically file your tax return.   It will have to be printed and filed by mail.  

Please review the following Turbo Tax FAQ to print and file your return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3401713

This answer does not resolve the problem the question needs resolved. These are the steps to follow when entering a IP (Individual Protection) PIN on your federal return.
The above person's return was rejected by the state of Illinois for not entering their IL (Illinois) PIN for their state return. You need to go to a different part of Turbo Tax, right before resubmitting to be able to resolve this issue.

Agreed.  The above instructions are how to enter a 6 digit PIN from the IRS.  The IL PIN # is 8 digits.  This will not work.   

I am having the same problem with Illinois State return. I have both my wife and my  IL. pins  no where to enter it when they want 5or 6 digit and IL pin is 8.

So my Federal  tax return was accepted,  Illinois was not?I f I find out anything I will post it.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Try these steps for fixing the PIN error for IL state: To re-sign your return:

1.  Click "File" in the left hand menu tab, .

2.  Click "Start/revisit" to file 

3.  Make sure Illinois has been selected to e-file if FED has already been filed/accepted no need to check that one.

4.  Continue to the "Review Your Illinois Filing Info" screen.

5.  Click Edit next to "You are consenting and signing your return electronically."

6.  Scroll down to update your PIN or to select a different method of signing your return (state ID, driver's license, IL Prior year AGI, or 9-digit ZIP). If you only entered the 9-digit ZIP before, try enter other pieces of information (IL PIN, IL Prior Year AGI).

5. After updating, click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions to re-file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pjalagam

You can use forms from left corner of Turbo Tax desktop version (i am using mac version) and go to your IL tax forms and enter IL Tax PIN then switch back to normal view and continue filing. It should retain your IL PIN.

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

@troybasden Per the IL Department of Revenue website: How can I obtain my 8-digit IL-PIN to electronically file my Form IL-1040?

• You may use IL-PIN inquiry in MyTax Illinois to see if an IL-PIN has been assigned to you.
  • You may also call the toll-free number at 1 800-732-8866 and use the automated PIN inquiry system on the Voice Response Unit. Be sure to have your Illinois driver's license/state ID number or prior year adjusted gross income available before you make your inquiry.
  • If you do not have an 8-digit IL-PIN, you may still file your return electronically if you have a valid drivers license or state ID card issued by the Illinois Secretary of State.
  • If you do not have an 8-digit IL-PIN, a valid driver's license, or state ID card issued by the Secretary of State you must use a tax preparer to file your return electronically. Otherwise, you must file a paper Form IL-1040.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The federal pin is clear on how to enter. The problem is with the IL pin which has no place to enter.

Did you find where to actually enter the IL pin? I have gone through it about 10 times and there is no place to enter as best as I can tell

I have the same problem. There is no place in Turbo 2019 to enter the IL pin which I also have and yes our pin is longer than they allow.

Smith3323

Possibly IL just sucks and dose not want to hand out refunds. I have went through this several times and verified all of the necessary information is accurate. I am married filing jointly, the only personal verification I can see is our AIG. It seems as if the DL info is only for federal and possibly inputs automatically in the state return. I am at a loss???

Alright, so I just figured out where to enter the IL Pin. It's weird that IL is asking for it because normally you only need an AGI to verify yourself. But here's what you do:

Start Step 3 in the File section. On the prompt that asks you for your AGI, select the bottom option that says verify your signature in a different way. After selecting that option you'll get the option to enter your IL Pin number.

Hope this helps everyone! Be safe out there.

JR136450
Returning Member

Select File and go to where AGI is, select I do not have AGI for 2018 to enter License and IL PIN for state. 

amshane97

I see:

Step 3: Get ready to save and file your returns --> [Start]
then ... Let's get ready to e-file --> [I want to e-file]

then ... What type of state-issued ID does XXXX have?

_X_ Driver's License

___ State ID

___ XXXX doesn't have any forms of ID

then ... it ask for driver's license number, expiration date, and issued date. that's it. No where does it ask for the PIN. This is driving me crazy.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies