turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1116: Unusual Situation "- Foreign taxes paid in foreign currency and you converted the amounts to U.S. dollars"

Do I need a physical copy of TurboTax to take care of this situation?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Form 1116: Unusual Situation "- Foreign taxes paid in foreign currency and you converted the amounts to U.S. dollars"

If you are referring to Part II of Form 1116, input for foreign currency for taxes, you do not need to complete this part of the Form 1116.  You only need to input the amounts in USD.

If you want to enter this information, you can complete it in the CD/Download version.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you @KarenJ2. Appreciate your input.

Thanks again

rtmol1

Hello, 

I have the same issue. I realize you do not need to enter the foreign currency amount, but the issue is IF 'you converted them to dollar amounts' (which I did based on IRS 2020 currency conversion table) as my employer statements are in Euro. I did not notice this 'unusual situation' instruction before attempting to e-file after turbotax said everything looked good. I then got a rejection and was asked to correct the foreign tax section. I can only assume this is the problem? I can't imagine this is such an unusual case for form 1116. Is there any work around to this?

Thank you! 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

it depends. What did the IRS ask you you to correct?

- Foreign taxes paid in foreign currency and you converted the amounts to U.S. dollars

If any of these situations apply to you, you cannot use TurboTax Online to prepare your return.

It appears based on the search/responses, TurboTax Online version is a problem. However Desktop version is fine. 

Can someone throw the light on why there is a difference between the 2 versions and is there a plan to fix it in Online version?

Thanks

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I cannot comment why there is a difference between online and the software version. Just report the amount for foreign taxes paid in US dollars if you have that information regardless of what version of Turbo Tax you are using.

@resik

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies