Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1099-NEC

I used Quick Employer Forms to prepare and file a 1099-NEC for a contractor. He now tells me his SSN is incorrect. QEF says they don't support amending 1099's. In researching it appears I have to make the correction on paper using transmittal Form 1096 and submit a zero dollar 1099-NEC with the original incorrect SSN but zero paid in Box 1 and then prepare a second 1099-NEC with the correct SSN and the amount paid in Box 1. 

Do I have this right? Are there other actions to take?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Form 1099-NEC

Yes, you not only have this right, but you have this responsibility.  You'll need to prepare corrected paper forms, just as your research has instructed you to do.  

Just checking:  Have you already FILED the 1099-NEC?  If not, you could just issue a correct Form 1099-NEC and issue it to the contractor.  Then just destroy the incorrect forms. 

If you have already filed (sounds like you have), you'll need to issue the corrected form and the accompanying 1096.  So sorry.  I am unaware of any other ways to correct this error.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Form 1099-NEC

Thank you Kat. Yes I have already e-filed the 1099-NEC and the IRS has accepted it. 

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Form 1099-NEC

@toddrub46 Shoot.  So sorry, but you do need to issue corrected tax documents.  

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
Lenwois1

Form 1099-NEC

Can you tell me how exactly you did that. I filed a 1099-NEC form for an employee and had the incorrect $ amount.  How do I go about correcting this?  As much detail as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Form 1099-NEC

First you need to order Form 1096 directly from the IRS. This can take up to 10 days to receive. You cannot simply print off the form from the on-line irs.gov site because it’s a machine readable form. You then need to prepare a 1099-NEC form exactly as you did the first time but mark it “corrected” at the top and then put the correct $ amount in box 1. File the form 1096 and the corrected 1099-NEC with the IRS at the address listed on the form. 

joeqvu
Returning Member

Form 1099-NEC

Instead of ordering the Form 1096 from the IRS, can the Form 1096 that is printed out by Turbo Tax Business 2020 be use along with  Copy A of the 1099-NEC (with Corrected checked) to send to the IRS?

Thanks,

Joe

Form 1099-NEC

I’m not certain but I’m guessing not since the irs.gov site had a warning not to print off the 1096 from their site to file, but rather to order it from them. 

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Form 1099-NEC

No, you need to follow the IRS website instructions. 

If the forms do not meet the IRS standards exactly, you risk your information not being read by the IRS computers.

joeqvu
Returning Member

Form 1099-NEC

Thank you for the response.  I bought the Form 1096 and software from Office Depot. 

It's a shame that TurboTax Business 2020 costs so much, but doesn't allow a "Corrected" 1099-NEC to be filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies