Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign address Error

I figured out how to pay with my credit card for turbo tax by updating the foreign address to a US one that matches the credit card. Then going back and updating it to my international address. However now when I'm trying to file my tax return I'm getting an error about how I need to fill out my State and Zip Code. However I have filled these fields are filled  out with my foreign address information. Has anyone else received this error before and figured out how to fix it? Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Foreign address Error

TurboTax does allow filing with a foreign address.  Please double check the recording of the foreign address:  However,  IRS regulations require a U.S. bank account to receive your tax refund, and you'll need a U.S. bank account (or credit/debit card with a U.S. billing address) if paying additional federal taxes owed.

• Choose Foreign country from Type of mailing address drop down list.
  • You enter the Street address
  • You enter the City name
  • You are asked for the Province or state
  • You are asked for Postal code

You would enter the Province where you live and the postal code of your address. In some countries the postal may precede the city or town.

Original Post

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Foreign address Error

Hi,

I've done that multiple times but am still receiving the error message that says "Oops, it looks like we're missing. some of your personal information like state and zip. You can go back to My Info and add that information now."

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Foreign address Error

In Personal Info.  In the section where your name is.  Do you have a state indicated there, or does it say Foreign or US possession?

Foreign address Error

In the section where my name is I have listed: Resident state as: Foreign or U.S. Possession

In Mailing Address I have listed: Foreign Country and my full address including City, Province or State, Postal Code, country filled out.
I'm still receiving the error that some of my personal info like state and zip is missing when I get to Step 3: Get ready to save and file your returns.

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Foreign address Error

If you are about to pay for your tax filings, it may be due to having a foreign mailing address entered, and  paying with a U.S.-based credit/debit card. 

This can be resolved by temporarily changing your information under Personal Info, then changing it back before filing your return. If you have a foreign address, enter the U.S. billing address for the card you're trying to use. This workaround can be used however you may not be able to e-file.

1. Select on the Personal Info tab at the top. 

2. Change your address to your US billing address

3. Select the File tab at the top and select Start next to Step 1. 

4. Pay for TurboTax Online. 

5. Return to Personal Info and reset your mailing address to the correct address. 

6. File your return. 

Foreign address Error

As mentioned in my original post I already figured out how to pay via credit card by changing my address. This is in reference to me e-filing my tax return in step 3. 

I'm confused as it seems that you're saying even though the Turbotax website states I can file online that I'm not able to. I was only told this after I paid the lump sum to Turbo Tax to do so. How do I go about getting my money back if I can't file through your site? I can't seem to find any email address or phone number to reach out to anyone directly. 

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Foreign address Error

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/ 

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax 

Support is open from 5am to 5pm Pacific time, Monday thru Friday 

El Baker

Foreign address Error

I am stuck in the exact same logic loop. 

El Baker

Foreign address Error

I got it to work by going back to the file page, switching the refund method to paper, going back and editing my mailing address, temporarily, to the US address matching my US credit card. Then it allowed me to progress in the File Return stage. Right before I actually filed, I went back and changed my address back to Foreign or U.S. Possession with my actual foreign address. Then I went back to File Taxes and followed the final steps from where I'd left off when I switched my address to the US mailing address. It seemed to work on the Intuit/TurboTax platform end; we'll see if it's accepted. Now, my Return Status is "In Progress." I'd much rather get a direct deposit rather than a paper check, but this will do. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies