Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Georgia-Mike
Returning Member

Forced to file by mail but No paper returns being accepted by IRS

Can Turbotax function as a tax advocate? Due to having to pay income tax in several states because of that idiotic ruling, I could not e-file my Turbotax Federal tax.  I mailed my paper form on April 20th. Now, due to Covid-19,  IRS isn't opening paper filings.  So what, precisely do I do? I can't get a human on the phone from IRS and TurboTax won't let me e-file. Should I file with a a tax preparer?  I would be surprised if they couldn't e-file - for a fee, of course.  Can TurboTax do anything for it's customers? Can you speak up for us as a group?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

For what purpose? Your return will eventually be opened and processed and it won’t be considered late if it was postmarked on time.  

Georgia-Mike
Returning Member

Thanks, Champ,

The purpose would be to address the incalculable delay in the forms processing. Hopefully Intuit might  suggest / request on behalf of it's customers  that the same health emergency preventing the processing of the forms might also allow for e-filing of multi-state returns. 

I can't accept eventually as a processing time any more than IRS would accept same as my answer to how soon I might pay them any balance I owed. 

As big as the IRS is, I would imagine they could scare up some rubber gloves and some masks to let people open the mail. Right now they are "not accepting", which is very different from , "slowly processing".

Presently, the "Taxpayer Bill of Rights" is a group of empty words. Aside from mailing out stimulus checks, this Federal agency shows no desire to even provide answers to questions - not even email.

I hate to sound cliche but I can think of nothing else to do than to write my Congressman's office and cross my fingers. I'd take the protest to the streets but they're pretty crowded already.

A mailed return is ACCEPTED based on the postmark. 
What's missing is the person with the letter opener, to scan in your paper.

As you can see by watching the news, the government is inept and/or fraudulent in many areas.

Georgia-Mike
Returning Member

I have to say that the Congressman route worked - as surprising as that is. I had an email chain waiting for me the next day. It traveled through the IRS and to a tax advocate. I had zero success contacting either before the congressman's office intervened. 

So, the news - they would do well to post it on the IRS website - is this: June 1, the first IRS campus opened, to be followed by another every two weeks. Mailed returns will get priority. I wasn't given specifics on the order of locations, but it's 200% of the info had before - plus I have a tax advocate as a contact. 

Thanks to all who responded!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies