Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For a MFJ return, how can I get a report or worksheet that breaks down numbers entered by who they belong to?

I'm using TurboTax Premier Desktop under Windows.  When you enter interest earned, it asks who the interest belongs to, the taxpayer or the spouse.  Similarly, when you enter dividends, it asks who the dividends belong to.  And there may be other things that are entered where TurboTax asks who the item belongs to.  But in Forms mode, there doesn't appear to be a worksheet or report which shows a break down by who entered it.  So TurboTax knows who each item belongs to but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to see that information (unless you go back to step-by-step mode and laboriously click through every entry, one at a time).  Is there something I'm missing?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

For a MFJ return, how can I get a report or worksheet that breaks down numbers entered by who they belong to?

When you file a joint tax return, all of your income is combined.  If you want a breakdown of who earned how much, who received how much interest etc. you will have to look at your tax documents or the worksheets and do the math.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Replying to xmasbaby0:  Yes, it is eventually combined, but TurboTax DOES remember who each item belongs to.  That's why you can go back to step-by-step mode and go back to your interest and dividend entry pages and see, for each entry, that TurboTax has remembered who each entry belongs to.  Since TurboTax has that information stored internally in its database file, it should be able to be summarized in a worksheet or report within TurboTax.  That's what I'm hoping there is some way (currently) to do that in TurboTax, and if not, hoping that TurboTax will add that as an enhancement at some point.

Save a PDF with all the WORKSHEETS to find the info you desire. 

Replying to Critter-3:  Which worksheets?  I don't see any which break the numbers down by who they belong to (taxpayer or spouse), but maybe I missed it.  Thanks.

The PDF with the worksheets are about 80+ pages long  ... keep looking. 

Replying to Critter-3:  Ah, I guess you mean the "Form 1099-INT Worksheets" and "Form 1099-DIV Worksheets," where there are SEPARATE worksheets for each payer and SEPARATE worksheets for the taxpayer and spouse, meaning dozens of worksheets (in our case).  Thank you for pointing those out.  As a software developer, I can (and will) write a program to extract the numbers from all those PDF worksheets and put them into a single easy-to-read-table that fits on one page.  I had just hoped that TurboTax would have provided such a single report to make it easy for anyone to access that information.  Anyway, thanks again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies