turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

First year of self employment & haven't filed yet—could I claim?

Hello all,

I apologise in advance if this question is unclear or if I'm posting it in the wrong place—I'm from the UK and our tax system is very different.

As background, I'm in my first year of self-employment as a freelance copywriter, and have yet to file federal taxes. (I live in WA so, whilst I have filed Business & Occupation taxes in January, I haven't had to file state income tax because WA doesn't have an income tax. I hope that's correct.) Since I haven't filed anything yet, I wondered if I should do so sooner rather than later in case I have to file for unemployment. I hope to continue working but the reality is that work circumstances are changing for everyone at the moment, and my contracts could easily dry up at any given time. I'm just trying to make sure that I'm prepared if that's the case. I'm assuming that I would need to file and pay at least once to be eligible. If I filed, and in doing so paid my unemployment insurance, would I be eligible for any unemployment benefits?

Also, a separate note, am I allowed to file jointly with my husband even though my income is coming from self-employment? I'm operating as a sole proprietor and I think I read somewhere that that type of income (non LLC, etc.) can be filed just as if I were filing for myself.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Best, jmb1204

Edit: I have only earned $7066 in 2019. Do I still make self employment tax contributions on that even if the amount earned is less than the personal income tax allowance? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Generally it is best to file jointly and, yes, you would include your self employment income on your joint return.  You must report your self employment income in any case since it is subject to self employment tax. 

Thank you! And I suppose you don’t know anything about the potential unemployment from the stimulus package? I just read that typically I wouldn’t be eligible because those who are self employed are not eligible for that but that the stimulus package does cover people like me and gig workers, etc.

Thanks again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies