Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fzhormozi

Filing after extension

I had applied for an extension and now I want to file, but you do not leet me
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Filing after extension

What is stopping you ?   Did you complete the FILE tab completely and click on the big orange Transmit Now button ?

Filing after extension

I know this is a year old, but I have a similar question.

I filed for an extension and paid my MD state tax on July 14, 2020 using TT.

Now I want to file MD state tax, but the only options I have is to pay the tax either (1) withdraw from bank account with direct deposit, or (2) mail a check.  However I already paid on July 14th (direct deposit via TT).

How should I continue?

Filing after extension

@Al816 wrote:

I know this is a year old, but I have a similar question.

I filed for an extension and paid my MD state tax on July 14, 2020 using TT.

Now I want to file MD state tax, but the only options I have is to pay the tax either (1) withdraw from bank account with direct deposit, or (2) mail a check.  However I already paid on July 14th (direct deposit via TT).

How should I continue?

Did you enter the state payment made with the state extension?  Was the payment to the state debited from your bank account back in July?

If the extension payment was debited from your bank account, then enter the payment made on your tax return -

To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button

Or enter federal extension payment in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to federal extension payment

Filing after extension

Thank you for this.  I would not have figured it out.

However I think I may have slightly flubbed my return...here is my situation...

• I moved from DC to MD in 2019.
  • I filed federal taxes on time and paid on time.  However I filed for state extensions for both DC & MD.
  • To answer your question to the best I can...yes, I used TT to file with the state extension and made a payment to the state which was debited from my bank account back in July.
  • I filed for a DC tax extension using DC tax's online website (it was July 13th and I couldn't figure how to do it on TT).  I sent in a check (for $402) to DC tax via USPS on July 14th.
  • Now on TT, my DC taxes show that I owe $0...it reflects the DC tax amount I sent on July 14th ($402 via check)...this is reflected on the D-40 form (on TT).
  • Also now on TT, my MD taxes show that I owe $210 (which I used TT to pay and was debited from my checking account on July 16th).

I'm assuming that I should follow your instructions below ("Other Income Taxes") to input the $210 estimated taxes for MD (that I already paid).  And leave DC alone since it already shows the $402 payment made in July.

Thereafter, I can go ahead and e-file w/o any further payment (the amounts paid in July were correct for both states).

Hope that all makes sense.

Thanks!

Filing after extension

@Al816 Your assumptions are correct.  Enter the amount paid to Maryland and do not enter anything for DC since the DC amount paid has already been credited on the DC state return.

If you have or will pay for the TurboTax account before e-filing make sure both your federal and both state tax returns are correct by viewing the returns or printing them out.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.

Filing after extension

I was able to make the changes as you detailed and e-file both state returns.  

Thank you!

Filing after extension

@Al816 wrote:

I was able to make the changes as you detailed and e-file both state returns.  

Thank you!

You are welcome!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies