turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

File federal return only

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies

File federal return only

Does this 2 year old answer still hold true for 2017 tax year?

File federal return only

Yes.  You are not required to file the state return if you choose not to.   The 2 FAQs mentioned below update automatically as they change, so they are current for 2017.    And when you go through the FILE tab you can choose to file only the Federal return, if desired.
jalincoln

File federal return only

I need to file my federal return    efile it.  I ill mail my state

File federal return only

jalincoln:
And what do you need to know?  You can choose to efile only the Federal return.   Or does TurboTax think you were finished, and you need to know how to open the return back up to change the filing method and finish?
biggica

File federal return only

Federal tax

File federal return only

@biggica
This is an already-answered thread from 2 years ago that won't show up as needing help, plus you need to ask an actual question.  The phrase "Federal tax" is not enough information to go on.   If the answers below do not address your issue, then you should start your own thread at the link below where you can be questioned.

When you go to the form at the link, the first box is for a summary of your question, like a title, and is limited to 170 characters..  If you need more room, lower on the form you will come to another box with plenty of room to enter details.    This is a public Internet forum, so don't post any personal info.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/new">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/new</a>

I'll close this old thread.
Belling

File federal return only

You can do this easily with TurboTax! When you have completed entering everything into TurboTax that will transfer to your Federal Form 1040, you will just proceed to filing your federal return. Even if a state return was automatically prepared by TurboTax based on your entries, you can choose to ignore this and only file your Federal return, once you are ready to file. 

If you are using any version of TurboTax other than the free Federal, you will need to delete the state return that generated before proceeding to file the federal return.

echoehn

File federal return only

where do I delete State Return to be able to file only federal

File federal return only

See the info I left you in another answer on this page.

File federal return only

echoehn:
You can file just the Federal return.  To do so, you will either need to delete the state return (you can add it back later), or you can choose to "skip" the state return for now.  The "skip" option still requires payment for the state return.

If you've already registered the State return in Free Edition, you may not be able to delete it.  But you should still be able to skip it..

See the two FAQ's below.

How to delete a state return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301384

How to skip the state return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3374295

File federal return only

I've signed out of free edition

Signed in

Clicked on State

Looked for the nonexistent Remove OR Delete button as instructed

Feb 3, 2020

Regards, Robin

File federal return only

how do I find my 2019 tax refund

Csthyt

File federal return only

Please remove the information regarding my house tax on my state tax.  I wasn’t overpaid I didn’t ask for a refund. I don’t know why that came up.  When that is removed we should be good to go.   C Tozzi

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

File federal return only

@Csthyt Were you working with a tax expert? If so, see this link for assistance with contacting your expert. If not, TurboTax does not have access to your tax return and aren't able to make any changes to it. You would need to sign into your account and make the changes yourself. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies