Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

It appears to be an IRS problem, not TT. I think TT filed out the form correctly but the IRS hasn't updated their checking program so it rejects the entire tax return.

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

@kristipalmer 

Without even considering whether this is an IRS or TT problem, or considering TT's botched handling of the issue as it affects their users:

Read a bunch of their posts, and what's really sad is that the "Employee Tax Expert" you mentioned seems to be totally uninformed about the purpose and applicability of Form 8960. Some of the information/suggestions they posted are flat-out wrong.

To be clear --- this isn't a Turbo Tax issue.  It's an IRS issue.  I filed mine using Tax Act and had the same problem.  When I called Tax Act they had no clue what was going on.

The first time I filed the errors said to "file after 02/05/2023" when the updates are ready.  Then when I filed again today it said "file in Mid-March."  So it's the IRS that is a mess here.  Once Turbo Tax and the other services catch on I'm sure they'll either prevent people from filing with a form 8960 or they'll post more information about it hopefully.  But most of us are just going to have to wait until the IRS gets their act together, even if it means chunks of $$ that we should be getting refunded now and not later.

I spoke to a liaison in my Senator's office today about this issue, hoping they might get a fix pushed up to the top of priority list at the IRS.

I mentioned that I didn't want to paper file because it would further delay refunds, and she said their office has open cases of people waiting years to get refunds after paper filing because of IRS backlogs for processing paper.

Nightmare.

Oh, and I’m sure you’ll hear the president today telling us how great the economy and country is doing and how much better we are off in two years ago. No wonder they want to hire 87,000 new IRS agents.

I have 2 rejection notices for this code.  Why did turbotax walk me through getting it fixed when in fact this was a system error?  

Can I just use a different software, like H&R Block?

alenaloma

Have you heard any updates on this? Seems like there is still no resolution. 

I just went through HRB and and my e-file has already been accepted. This is definitely a TT issue. 

Really? I filed on Taxact and got the same issue.

KO8922

If I just start over with another company like H and R block will I have the same issue?  I don't have rental income and do not need the form.

@gregkzn 

From someone who works at Treasury, I can tell you that you are spreading fake news. The thousands of "agents" will be hired over ten years, and it is not only agents. It is estimated that the retiring Baby-boomers along with attrition after COVID will cause a shortage of skilled labor over the next ten years. So the Federal government is not growing as you make it sound. It is replacing 1:1 as people retire and leave the workforce. So stop spreading misinformation. 

Calm down and wait.  This is a huge problem and it's all on the IRS.  I too considered HR Block, but if they do taxes correctly, your return will also reject.  This is affecting millions of folks.  Be patient.  The IRS, in their own time, will fix their checking program.  It's a simple fix.  What's important to know is that it's not you, it's not Turbo Tax.  It's  the IRS.  So, what's new?

It is on the IRS project schedule for resolution by the end of Feb to Mid-March.  It's not your issue, or Turbo Tax, it's all on the IRS.

The 2/5 date was in the thread somewhere, sigh 😔 

On Jan 31, the IRS had Feb 5 as their projected resolution date. On Feb 1, they updated it to the "late Feb to early Mar" timeframe. Crazy that it'll take that long, but as someone else said in this thread, no surprise from our friends in federal government

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies