Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

add me to the list

TN26
Level 1

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

IRS rejected me twice due to this 8960 erro issue. I filed with H&R Block and accepted the first time. Turbo Tax has failed it's most loyal customers

It's NOT turbotax or ANY software company. It's your idiot federal government employees who failed to remember that we file taxes every year starting Jan.

If you file with HR block and it gets accepted - YOU WILL BE SORRY soon enough. It is WRONG. IT CAN NOT BE ACCEPTED. It has nothing to do with the company you use - the IRS machine does not accept 8960's right now.

No 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, dividends, interest, winnings, etc

Tax443577

I don't think you guys are understanding this correctly. It IS a TT problem. It's not about whether there should be a form 8960, it's the fact that TT is putting NON RENTAL income in the RENTAL INCOME spot on that form when it should NOT be there. That's not an IRS problem, that's a TT problem, and that is why it's working with another provider because they are not making the mistake of putting non rental income in 4a of form 8960.

TT needs to fix this ASAP.

You are 100% correct and TT needs to fix this ASAP

@Tax443577 

Yeah that’s not correct at all. Form 8960 is not just for rental income. You should at least read the instructions before you start declaring things like this…

carlosocampo55
Returning Member

the IRS website updated the issue to this:

Business Rules will be updated sometime in late February to mid-March 2023.

You're mistaken; it is not the Federal Government; it is Turbo Tax's problem. You lack the critical thinking required to understand Turbo Tax is generating the wrong form with the wrong amount. No other tax filing services have the same problem. Not Tax Act, Not HRBlock, not  any other; it is only a Turbo Tax problem, and Turbo Tax is not addressing the issue; they are ignoring us 

How do  stop getting these responses?

All the people saying we are going to die using HRB, I just want you to know I don’t have investment income. TT is putting my self employed income on form 8960. That’s not an IRS issue. Not saying there are not other things going on but for me TT has failed. 

Exactly my issue

I want to head and bite the bullet and downloaded and filed with H&R Block this afternoon. My return did include the form 8960 because there were some royalties on form 1099 miscellaneous from Amazon. Only issue I had with HRB was HSA worksheet seemed a little picky. My total refunds were the same with both programs.  I will keep the forum posted.  My next step will be to contact my credit card and dispute the original and the state filing charges. Office Depot has the electronic Deluxe HRB download on sale for $34.99 $19.99 to file State 

Last year TT included 8960 in my filing because I had a 1099 but culprit lines were left blank!

This year my same small 1099, that I have filed for years with TT (church organist), made its way onto the culprit lines of 8960, triggering rejection. 

i am done with TT. Filed with HRB. They won’t charge me if rejected. Will let you know.

@meganetrix 

You should consider using your time to read the actual Form 8960 instructions instead of attempting  dopey internet dunks:

On Page 1: If your MAGI meets the thresholds, you must file Form 8960 (see “Who Should File”)

On Page 6: The instructions for Lines 4a tell you what should be included (and what should be deducted on Line 4b)

Further, the “Known Issues” spreadsheet from the IRS specifically calls out the new instructions for Form 8960 Line 4a: “…updates to the Instructions for Form 8960 (Tax Year 2022) regarding the Specific Instructions for Line 4a to include Schedule C (Form 1040) amounts reported on Schedule 1 (Form 1040), line 3 and Form 1041, line 3.”

@shelhed217 
Nobody is saying you're going to die. lol. They're saying the instructions have changed this year and it seems like the services that are letting you file aren't following the new instructions.

It's just kind of astounding how many people are blaming TT when
(a) the IRS has admitted to be at fault, and
(b) they won't even bother to read this year's instructions for 8960.

Just a small snippet from the IRS instructions for form 8960, line 4a...

Enter the following amount from your properly completed return.
• Schedule 1 (Form 1040), line 3.
• Schedule 1 (Form 1040), line 5.

.... (more listed here)

Schedule 1, line 3 is "Business income (or loss)."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies