Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

@BligBlueLaser   Done! Thanks!

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

Came here to ask if you are still a never-nude?

Also…this better be fixed soon!!! **bleep** side hustle!!!

Does it have anything to do with this? https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dont-file-taxes-yet-irs-203834689.html 

@BligBlueLaser  This post was SO very helpful. Thank you for the thorough explantion. You answered all the questions running through my head. 

Thank you. A thousand times, thank you!

Can anyone else confirm that TurboTax is working on an update for us to refile by 2/10?  Saw that posted on here, but wondered if there's been other confirmation.

Not that I know.  Just going to try to submit on Friday. I have me fingers crossed. 

Read the recommended solution post at the very top of this thread on Page 1.

Thanks for this!

We are filing jointly, and we do have a form 8960 (Net Investment Income) because our income exceeds the threshold of $250,000.  However, we have NO business income and no rental income (only wages, interest, dividends, and capital gains), so no Schedule C.  From everything I've read in this thread, it sounds like we may be able to e-file our return with no problem since we have no business income.  Can someone clarify whether that is true?  Has anyone who has a 8960 with no business income successfully e-filed?  Thank you.

PS:  In forms mode, our form 8960 lines 4a, 4b, and 4c are blank, and our Schedule 1 line 3 is also blank.

@ItzRav 
I don’t recall anyone with a blank Lines 4a/b/c on 8960 getting rejected - not a guarantee, but I don’t recall an example of that.

Might be worth a try: EVERYONE here has been erroneously rejected at least once this tax season, and I don’t know of any reason to think one erroneous rejection would prevent e-filing later when we’re certain the IRS has fixed the issue.

If you do try it, please come back and post the results.

BligBlueLaser:  Thank you.  Still waiting on another 1099 to come in so won't be filing until some time in the next week, but I will post the results when I do.

I have been reading the on-going string on this and appreciate the information a great deal.  My situation is similar to many, I am sure: I e-filed a return with only small amounts of interest income reported, but because I took a large 1-time distribution from my 401(k), I went over the income threshold for the 3.8% net investment income tax (the tax is a whopping $11).  When I check the return status in TT, I see the status for both Fed and State as "Pending", with a note that says the IRS takes 24-48 hours to process e-file returns.   

But based on the info in this string, you are saying that if we are lucky, the IRS may fix their software problem for Form 8960 in late February (or not).    If I'm correct so far, then I have to related questions:

1. Is there any mechanism or process to "un-file" the e-return, and take my chances on paper filing?

2. Is your counsel at this point to just wait in 8960 purgatory until the IRS get the software fix completed?

3. If the answer to #2 is "yes", then how will we be notified whenever the fix is made?

4. Will TT automatically push the return back to the IRS?

Many, many thanks and all the best wishes!

I'm new to this particular issue as I just received my rejection.

There is no way to "unfile"; similar to dropping forms in mail.  wait for accept or reject.

Per others (and the solved note page 1); paper may be delayed for a long time.

You can "subscribe" to this thread; I'm sure someone will post when successful.  you can also likely monitor the IRS "known issues" spreadsheet and see when that changes to solved.

I am not certain, but do not believe TT will ever "automatically" resubmit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies