Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax443577

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

@BligBlueLaser 

The whole form 8960 is not all for rental income BUT, lines 4a and 4b ARE ONLY for rental income and that is where TT is messing up and putting NON rental income. It's 100% a TT issue.

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

@Tax443577 

That’s still wrong: you really need to take a moment to read the instructions from the IRS for 2022 Form 8960 Line 4a (page 6)

How do I get out of this chain?

Oh wow that is a long time. So to be clear this is nothing we need to change it is an issue with the IRS and we just need to wait to resubmit when they have updated their system?

So far it’s been 3 hours status still shows as pending. My TT was rejected within an hour not sure if the weekend makes a difference. I will say TT is a lot more user friendly then HRB but I was able to import most of my personal data. 

Sadly if you relook at that IRS link-resolution is now popping up as late February to mid March...not sure if this changed or if it could still be after Feb. 5th.

Exactly correct. I wonder why if you Google the same rejection issue with H&R Block in your search nothing comes up but if you put in TurboTax I’m your Google search it’s full of these issues from people. Come on TurboTax. You must be crazy to have all these people complaining on your forum and you’re so quiet about it. 

Definitely a TurboTax issue. If you Google the same rejection and put in H&R block in that search nothing comes up about people having rejected returns. It’s only happening with TurboTax users.

Reading that form, is gonna to make sense to anybody I don’t think so 😂

Everyone that says the 8960 is for investment income only is WRONG. It changed this year. THAT'S the problem.

Everyone that thinks because HR block efile worked for them everything is fine is WRONG and will regret it.

Everyone that can't understand that the IRS and federal government idiots are at fault and not turbotax are making me doubt humanity.

Having the same problem with Reject Code F8960-019-04 and the IRS not accepting Turbotax's e-return on 2/4. Any updates on how to fix this? Thanks.

It may be partly a TT issue.   

Why is TT putting my Business Income  on line 4A and 4B  of form 8960??  When those lines state that they are for rents, royalties, partnerships and trusts??     The IRS form is looking to match Schedule 1 line 5  with 4A   and there is nothing on line 5   because its on line 3???      

TT   Just take my business income off  4a and b  and I should be able to file! 

@tlbujaki - the IRS has changed the instructions for 8960 this year. It SHOULD include business income, per the instructions. 

Line 4a—Income From Passive
Trades/Businesses, Rental Real
Estate, Royalties, Partnerships, S
Corporations, and Trusts

Enter the following amount from your
properly completed return.

• Schedule 1 (Form 1040), line 3.
• Schedule 1 (Form 1040), line 5.
• Form 1041, line 3.
• Form 1041, line 5.
• Form 1041-QFT, the portion of line 4
that’s income and loss that properly would
be reported by a trust filing Form 1041 on
Form 1041, line 5.
• Form 1040-NR, the amount properly
reported on the attachment to your Form
1040-NR representing the amount that
you would properly include on Schedule 1
(Form 1040), line 5, if you were filing Form
1040 or 1040‐SR and including income
and loss only for your period of U.S.
residency.

I just sent the first note off via my senators' website. Please like so others will see this and act.

Subject: E-filing Processing error (Form 8960) is erroneously rejecting returns

Dear Senator ___________,  (Reps are just Mr., Ms, or Mrs.)

I wanted to draw your attention to an issue at the IRS. The IRS has a known error related to Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. As with everything in taxes, it is a bit complicated to explain. I will do my best high-level explanation and if more information is needed, please reach out.

The profit or loss from non-W-2 wages is added on line 4a. Income here would include, for example, compensation reported on a Form 1099 and income from a real estate venture. Line 4b is income from a “non-passive” source. That figure is deducted from Line 4a, and the net is used in the tax calculation that separates active, passive and investing income as required by The Tax Reform Act of 1986. Tax software systems are correctly completing this process, however, there is an issue on how the IRS processes the electronic filing.

My personal experience has been with TurboTax, a leading tax software program for individuals to use. Shortly after e-filing, my return was rejected. The IRS is erroneously assuming the income on line 4a is from real estate ownership, which would require a Schedule E, Supplemental Income and Loss (From rental real estate, royalties, partnerships, S corporations, estates, trusts, REMICs, etc.) to be included with the return. My 4a amount is from a miscellaneous 1099 for a business in which I actively participated. Despite line 4a and 4b being the same figure, resulting in no passive income, my filing was rejected (F8960-019-04) for the lack of a Schedule E, or more specifically, no amounts on Schedule E. Again, no Schedule E is required.

The result of this issue will negatively impact electronic filings for many tax payers who file a Schedule C. This would include people in the trades, independent contractors, and anybody with a “side hustle” when they are unable to get their return filed and, more importantly, get their refunds. While paper filing is an option, doing so will add at least six additional weeks from the time the IRS receives the return to get one’s refund. The IRS’ reputation for addressing paper returns makes me think that delay could be understated by weeks, if not months.

Some individuals have noted that they filed electronically after switching to H&R Block’s tax software. First and most obviously, this is duplicating their time, effort, and cost to complete their taxes. There could be consequences later because a Form 8960 was not filed.

As I noted earlier, this is a known issue that is included on the 2022 spreadsheet of issues:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-schema/ty[product key removed]s-and-solutions.xlsm

Earlier in the week, Line 74 stated that the issue was logged 1/17/2023 with a projected resolution date of 2/5/2023. Recently, that information changed. The same issue on the same line now has a 2/1/2023 entered date (overriding 1/17/2023) with the projected date cell now stating “Business Rules will be updated sometime in late February to mid-March 2023.”

So now after waiting 10 days for the February 5 fix to arrive, it is pushed to mid-March. Maybe even later if the IRS makes a change like they just did. This is insane that it is not already resolved.

I would respectively ask that you look into this issue and convince the Treasury Department immediately address this programming bug.

Sincerely,

{full name}

Pbenitez1

It appears this issue will be resolved on IRS end on 02/05/2023. Once fixed by the IRS, we should all be able to file.

Business Rules F8960-019-04 and F8960-003 will be updated in early PY2023. https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/known-issues-and-solutions

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies