turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal Amended Return (1040-X) Error

I had to amend a return because the 1099Q was an "unqualified distribution".  It was an issue related to a Social Security # that was not updated for the siblings that replaced the original recipient.   It was my understand that the “original recipient" is required to report this unqualified distribution on an amended return.  The return was completed and mailed to the IRS and to the appropriate state.  However, I just realized that TurboTax did not reflect the second Stimulus check ($600) in Column A (original amount).    Should we wait for the IRS to send a bill for the additional $600 or forward the additional funds?  I am confused that Turbo Tax did not reflect the original credit for $600 which was reported on the original return. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Federal Amended Return (1040-X) Error

To clarify, the stimulus payments must be entered as received. These amounts are not taxable.

If nothing was received for the second stimulus payment, $0 must be entered. If nothing was received, but the family was eligible, then the IRS will include the shortfall in the calculations for any refund or balance due. 

Please download the PDF of any filed returns for 2020. Form 1040, page 2, Line 30 only reports what amount, if any, is still due to the filers. Scroll through the PDF to find the Rebate Recovery Worksheet to see what was reported.

To do this in TurboTax Online, follow these steps:

• From the left menu, select Tax Home.
  • Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and Show
  • Select 2020.
  • Navigate to the option to download the PDF of your return.
    • The forms are named in the top left and lower right hand corners of each page.

Regarding reporting distributions for educational expenses, see: Where do I enter a 1099-Q? for more information.

@Sandy35

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies