Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal 26% solar power tax credit and itemized deductions

I have always itemized tax deductions because my charitable contributions were larger than the standard deduction.  I have received federal tax refunds after filing.  Should I alter my charitable contributions in 2022 to accommodate the 26% federal tax credit for the $16,000 solar panel system I am installing in 2022?  That is, should I lessen my other itemized tax deductions in 2022 compared with the past? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AdamNe
Employee Tax Expert

Hello @haujod !

Great question. Love to see people planning ahead on their taxes! 

Basically, deductions and credits are handled completely differently. You don't need to worry about losing out on any of your credit, because any portion of it that cannot be used (i.e. that exceeds your tax liability for the year) will be carried forward to be used against next year's tax liability. If your tax liability is usually very low or 0 (you can find it on line 24 of your Form 1040), then from a tax perspective it MAY make sense to ease up on the charitable donations, since you have this significant credit available to offset any tax liability. 

I hope this answer helps you! Please respond here if you have further questions. 

Best,

Adam, EA

TurboTax Live Expert

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AdamNe
Employee Tax Expert

Hello @haujod !

Great question. Love to see people planning ahead on their taxes! 

Basically, deductions and credits are handled completely differently. You don't need to worry about losing out on any of your credit, because any portion of it that cannot be used (i.e. that exceeds your tax liability for the year) will be carried forward to be used against next year's tax liability. If your tax liability is usually very low or 0 (you can find it on line 24 of your Form 1040), then from a tax perspective it MAY make sense to ease up on the charitable donations, since you have this significant credit available to offset any tax liability. 

I hope this answer helps you! Please respond here if you have further questions. 

Best,

Adam, EA

TurboTax Live Expert

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies