turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Family HSA contributions

My wife and I have a family HDHP that qualifies for an HSA.

I am over 55 and established the family HSA.

My wife does not have an HSA in her own name.

We contributed $7900 to the family HSA in 2018.

I received a 5498-SA with only my name.

How do we report the contributions to TT?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Family HSA contributions

Form 5498 is for your information only; you do not report it on your taxes (which is why it's not a form that TT supoorts)

View solution in original post

Family HSA contributions

2018 limit is $7900 (family) and assumes one spouse is over 55

If the other spouse is also over 55, you can set up a separate HSA is that spouse’s name and take advantage of another $1000

No contributions permitted if you are 65

You have until April 15, 2019 to add to last years contribution

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Family HSA contributions

Form 5498 is for your information only; you do not report it on your taxes (which is why it's not a form that TT supoorts)

Family HSA contributions

Thank you.

I've heard that a Family HSA only applies to taxpayers with children, not to couples without children.

This makes no sense, but I cannot find any IRS definition of family that excludes couples.

How much can a married couple with a qualifying Family HDHP contribute to a Family HSA owned by the spouse who is over 55 years of age?

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Family HSA contributions

Family HSA includes spouses but has one owner. In TurboTax, you will want to answer the questions from the account owner's perspective, you in this case. Contributions are generally reported on a W-2 form in box 12.

If you made contributions outside of your employer (on your own to the custodian), then you will enter those in the HSA section. Do answer all the questions in the section. You can read more here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Family HSA contributions

2018 limit is $7900 (family) and assumes one spouse is over 55

If the other spouse is also over 55, you can set up a separate HSA is that spouse’s name and take advantage of another $1000

No contributions permitted if you are 65

You have until April 15, 2019 to add to last years contribution

Family HSA contributions

Thank you!

Family HSA contributions

We have a single HSA in my name. My wife turned 65 in March 2019. Is it too late to open a 2018 HSA in her name to qualify for the second $1,000.00 additional contribution?

Family HSA contributions

I do not see why not as it will be s 2018 contribution and the IRS measures age as of dec 31. Must be set up under her name and SS#

Also you wrote “single” - did you mean “family”

Family HSA contributions

Yes it is a family HSA And we have contributed $7.700 so far. Will we need to split this amount for her HSA to get the $1,000 and to avoid me having access contributions?

Family HSA contributions

She can do $1,000 maximum as a single contributor but it must be a separate HSA with her SS#

You can sti contribute $200 to your HSA for 2018

So the maximum total is really $8900 if you do it right, ie both at least 55 but less than 65 and $7900 in one HSA and $1000 in the other

Family HSA contributions

Thank you so much for your help. The more I searched for answers the more  seemingly conflicting information I found. I did find find information similar to what you provided so thank you for the clearing things up.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies