Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Excess IRA Contribution

Hello, I made a dumb mistake and contributed $7K to my IRA in 2020 (I'm under 50), so 6K is my limit. I understand it's excess, and there are options. Where it messy, is I always do Roth IRA conversions. So:

Every month I deposit $200 into my Vanguard Traditional IRA. I wait a few days until it clears, and then convert it to Roth. That's $2,400/year. In 2020 I decided to max it out and made a 1-time deposit of $4,600 in the Spring, and converted it. Obviously this math mistake put me at $7K.

How can I fix this? It's so much stickier with the conversions. 😩

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Excess IRA Contribution

Hope this becomes an active thread...  

Here's my unsanctioned thoughts:

1)  I'm not sure why you go through the trouble of making a tax-deferred IRA contribution only to immediately follow up with a taxed withdrawal for ROTH deposit.  I'm curious what loop(hole) you're jumping through for this 'booking' activity.

2)  As for the excess, simply withdraw the excess before your taxes are due and before filing your return.  TT should have a menu taking you through the recording of the transaction resulting in a Form ?5329? .

3)  And since compounded investment gains and taxes are multipliers following the commutative property of multiplication any tax-deferred investment merely pushes the income to a future tax-bracket and nothing else.  Therefore, there should be little concern regarding any "gains" that may have been earned while the excess was in the IRA.

Excess IRA Contribution

What a quick reply Jenny!

1) I earn too much to simply make a Roth Contribution, so I do the Backdoor Roth Method. It's some extra legwork, but it's worth it.

2) Withdrawing also seems to me to be the best course.

3) I'm a little lost here, your knowledge is deeper than mine. I guess my concern is 1, having to pay the 10% penalty for withdrawing under 59 1/2, and 2, how I could calculate the exact number of gains I'd need to pull.

Excess IRA Contribution

3) This comment was referencing the false conclusion that tax-deferred does anything but push income to future tax brackets.  A X B X C = A X C X B.  It's a math thang.  Some might be tempted to compute a pro-rata share of gains while in tax-deferred status.  The point is not to try to figure it out.  Excess in equals excess out.

2) Tidy accounts pay dividends of their own.

1) OK  I get it.  Good plan.

Excess IRA Contribution

Thank you for all the good advice!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies