Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

estimated taxes for 2018 paid but not entered on return

I paid an extra $150 estimated taxes in April 2019 towards my federal 2018 liability, but forgot to enter them on my 2018 return ( filed an extension and then filed properly later in the year).. I know I can file an amended return but that takes forever - I only found out I did this is late Dec, so I thought I could just add the payment to my 2019 return - but I do not know where to enter it as taxes paid in turbo tax home and business. Anyone got any help for this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

It gets entered in the Federal section of the program (even though it's for the state) and the program pulls the amounts into the state return.

You will see sections for federal, state, and local under the Estimated Taxes screen -

• Log into your account and click Take Me to My Return(you must click this first)
  • Use the search feature in the top right-hand corner of your screen (or search topics/bar if using desktop)
  • Search for "estimated tax payments" and click the "jump to" link.  
  • This will bring you right to the appropriate section to enter all of your estimated taxes paid

Or, you can also find the section by clicking on the following tabs:

• Federal Taxes
  • Deductions and Credits
  • You may have to click “Ill Choose what to work on” or "Show All" or "Check for More Credits"to get full list to appear
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid(you may need to scroll down all the way past your "common" tax breaks list that will appear in your summary)
  • Scroll down to Estimates
  • Enter your 2019 Paid Estimated Taxes 

sorry I posted in error with no details and you replied really quickly to the title only! I did see I could enter it as a payment made with an extension for 2019, but the payment was made for my 2018 taxes but not used in that return. I do get the $150 credit if I enter it as paid with a 2019 extension but I'm not filing an extension for 2019 - hoping to get it done on time this year!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies