turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jpenkoff
Returning Member

Estate Filing - K-1 issues

I finished my father's final estate taxes. However, when I printed the K-1's it does not show the amounts we inherited and no other amounts on the federal and state K-1's.  He does not owe any taxes on his Federal 1041 and owes $40 on his Arizona Tax Form 141AZ.  Do I have an error somewhere or did these print correctly? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

Taxes aren't owed when estates distribute inherited assets....only when there is income.

I finished my father's final estate taxes. However, when I printed the K-1's it does not show the amounts we inherited and no other amounts on the federal and state K-1's. 

sorry for your loss. 

it is not his 1041 it is his estate which either pays taxes on his income received after he died or the income it was distributed to the beneficiaries in which case there would likely be no federal taxes (can't say about the state) then the income would show up on the K-1 and be reported by the beneficiaries.

since we don't know anything about his assets, any income he earned before he died but received afterward like salary, or income earned post-death by the estate's assets we can't say if the returns were done correctly

jpenkoff
Returning Member

Thank you for answering so quickly.  So the sale of the house is considered investment income in TurboTax Business, we don't have to allocate the capital gains to the heirs? There was a capital gain of $1695 and 3 heirs of  40/40/20%. 

jpenkoff
Returning Member

Thank you for answering so quickly.  So the sale of the house is considered investment income in TurboTax Business, we don't have to allocate the capital gains to the heirs? There was a capital gain of $1695 and 3 heirs of  40/40/20%. 

SamS1
Expert Alumni

First, did you step up the basis in the house to date of death market value?  Depending on the time the house was sold, there should not have been much if any gain after deducting the closing costs from the proceeds.  Next, make sure you marked the return in TurboTax Business as "Final".  There should not be any tax due on the final estate 1041 as all the income is passed out to the beneficiaries.  Also, make sure and deduct all expenses on the final return including legal, court costs, and accounting.  But yes, if you had income left in the estate, it should be passed out to the beneficiaries and taxed at the beneficiary level with each getting a K1 and not on the estate return.

jpenkoff
Returning Member

Thank you for the added information.  I greatly appreciate it! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies