Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Error 1603 fatal error occurred during installation or updating TurboTax 2022

I have been using Turbo Tax for 30 years or longer. Never have I had a single problem, until the present situation, that is. Now, this fatal error turns up, and the 2022 tax filings for October 16th are due within several days. My system is Win 10.

If Turbo Tax is monitoring this problem, a problem that has existed off and on for at least the past few years I hear, this is the time to step up and provide a solution. In other words, help me, please, Turbo Tax.

I have tried the recommended fixes, such as checking antivirus programs or anything that has been added to my computer since I last updated my Turbo Tax 2022 program. No success. Administrative rights changes also do not work. Plus, I tried the manual update that provided a Turbo Tax patch, but this also did not work.

Moreover, the entire program stopped working when I tried rebooting my computer. I am therefore left with partially finished tax files that I cannot access because the entire program no longer works.

As I said, the program has been updated many times without a single error until now. The computer I am using also has had previous versions of Turbo Tax running without incident.  

The October extension deadline closes in just a few days, and I need to figure out how to proceed.

Please share if anyone has recommendations on how to work around this problem. If Turbo Tax is working on an update/fix to the download problem, please hurry. I am running out of time. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

You might want to contact Support tomorrow.

How do I contact TurboTax? (intuit.com)

I have the exact same problem!!! I have been using Turbo Tax for over 35 years and this is a new one for me! Someone please address this issue in the software updates or answer this post so we can all work on our taxes! You have some very loyal customers here having problems! Thank you!

When a customer has a "problem" like the state tax folder will not download or open or do not have message on "community": ca;; [phone number removed], get turbo agent to give you a code # that they will send you, THEY CAN SEE YOUR SCREEN. This saves HOURS !!!! The agent has a red arrow on your screen that tells YOU where to click!!! go to "help"(last word on topline), scroll down to "screen share code".  give the agent you are talking to!

whala!!!!

757vb

I have been using TurboTax Desktop for 26 years. I got the 1603 error message "failed update." I followed the suggestions I could find, and this is what finally got rid of the error message and allowed me to update TurboTax 2022:

I called Tech Support

I got past the computer support to an agent.

I explained the error was #1603 to the Tech person.

I shared my screen with the agent. 

He had me UNINSTALL TurboTax 2022. (Note, make sure you have your CD and license code before doing this!!)

(I wish I had thought of that on 12/23/2023 when it first happened.)

He had me REINSTALL TurboTax 2022 with my CD.

No problems.

TurboTax 2022 checked for updates. This took a while since it was now the original install.

NO ERROR MESSAGES.

High fives all around.

Thank you TurboTax.

Yes, it was a pain, but the TurboTax support rep got it done.

Good luck to anyone reading this. Don't give up, and call for Tech Support before you get too angry.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies