turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Error in transmission - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

When going to efile my taxes, I receive the following error: 

I have updated the number and checked (it is 10 digits) and tried clearing cookies / different browsers but still receive the same error. Anyone know how to solve this issue? I am based in the UK so I want to avoid having to mail the forms!

Your transmission didn't go through
We could not e-file your return for the following reason:
The Intuit Electronic Filing System is having difficulty recognizing the data in the return you are sending. To ensure you have the latest version of TurboTax, wait 24 hours to update your program automatically. If you still can't transmit your return, go to www.support.turbotax.com for a solution or workaround. In some cases, you may need to file your return by mail. - 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Change your phone number to a US number in the Intuit Account of Turbo Tax. This solved my problem. No need to verify this number in the Intuit Account just click exit when your are done. Then go back to you return an continue filing. 

View solution in original post

82 Replies

I am having the same issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issues, based in Australia. Have tried everything and it's just not working. We don't have a US based phone number and the system wouldn't allow us to put in an international number so we put one of our family members phone number. Wasn't sure if this was part of the problem but can't see a way around it. Looking for help as well. 

I am facing the same issue. I don't work in US anymore and my US phone number is invalid now so I had added a friend's number. Still doesn't work.

Same for me - in UK

Looks like a lot of us have the same problem! Anyone from Turbotax able to advise? 

I also tried with a US number but it didn't work :(

@amywilliams99 wrote:

Looks like a lot of us have the same problem! Anyone from Turbotax able to advise? 

I also tried with a US number but it didn't work :(

If you cannot use this TurboTax support website due to not having a US phone number for a callback -  https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Then try these websites -

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Same issue, won't file FED/STATE and same error code.  I'm outside of the US but have a US phone number for the tax section.  Have a foreign phone number for verification purposes for Turbo Tax sign in.  Hope that isn't an issue because for some unknown reason, I can't delete it from my account info.  This sucks Turbo Tax.  Please get it resolved soon.

Exact same issue as everyone else. My account sign in number is different - it has an Indian code because I don't live in the US anymore. Hope that isn't causing the problem.

I'm living here with you guys!  Same issue just now.

I should say that I'm also based overseas... but used a google voice from the get-go and still go the error.  Could it be we are all filing 2555 foreign income exclusions and getting the error?

Exact same issue for me. I'm also filing from the UK. I've tried formatting the number differently, but it auto-formats it anyway.

I've tried a Google Voice number, a US mobile number, and even a US land line all to no avail. Sounds like quite a few of us could use some help here. 

Same error +1. Please help or provide some message more useful for troubleshooting. Thanks!

aliddell
Returning Member

i used HR block because i was having this same issue and it worked :shrugs:

treu8

I'm having the same issue! I'm based in Japan and I get that message no matter what. I even tried using the US number of two different relatives. I tried using the area code for America +1, and I tried without it. I tried with a Japanese number, also with and without the Japanese area code. Nothing worked! I was told I needed to change my mailing address to an American one, so I used my PO box but it didn't work. I don't even know why they would suggest that? Please help! TurboTax this is clearly a big issue!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies