turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pcumming
Returning Member

Error help please..Received 1099-NEC from a company. I do not run a business. I worked part time. How resolve error pls?

So when I do a final review in 2020 online Turbotax Online Web it states this upon review:

Form 1099-NEC worksheet (company name of company that paid me): A link to Schedule C and a link to either Schedule F, Form 8919 (Wages) or  Other Income Statement have been selected to report nonemployee compensation. Only one can be selected. You must remove the link that is not applicable.

...It then shows a 1099-NEC worksheet  where you cannot change anything except title of what you entered for position.

BUT it says to "Double click link  to Schedule C or Schedule F" but you cannot click anything.

It did not produce a Schedule F when I go to Tax Tools and Delete a form. It does show a Schedule

C. There is no Schedule F.

What to do please?

Thank you

Peter

---------SCREEN SHOT-------------------

Screenshot_2021-01-31 TurboTax Deluxe 2020.png

Screenshot_22021-01-31 TurboTax Deluxe 2020.png

Here are the forms Turbotax created via Tax Tools Delete a Form

1040/1040SR Wks
Delete
Form 1040
Delete
Schedule 1
Delete
Schedule 2
Delete
Schedule 3
Delete
Federal Information Worksheet
- this form cannot be deleted.
Personal Worksheet (Peter)
Delete
Personal Worksheet (Rosalind)
Delete
Form W-2 (COADVANTAGE RESOURCES 50, INC.)
Delete
Form W-2 (TOWN OF MATTHEWS)
Delete
Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet
Delete
Form 1099-NEC Worksheet (Activus Connect LLC)
Delete
State Tax Refund Worksheet
Delete
Form 1099-R (Fidelity Investments)
Delete
IRA Contributions Worksheet
Delete
Form 1099-SA (Untitled)
Delete
Earned Income Worksheet
Delete
Tax Payments Worksheet
Delete
Medical Expenses Worksheet
Delete
Tax and Interest Deduction Worksheet
Delete
Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet (NewRez)
Delete
Form 1098 (Untitled)
Delete
Charitable Organization (Goodwill)
Delete
Charitable Organization (The Matthews Help Center)
Delete
Misc Itemized Deductions Wks
Delete
Schedule B
Delete
Schedule B -- Form 1099-INT (State Employees Credit Union)
Delete
Schedule C (Work from Home Part time position temporary)
Delete
Schedule C (Work from Home Part time position temporary) -- Schedule C Worksheet
Delete
Schedule D
Delete
Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet
Delete
Capital Loss Carryforward Worksheet
Delete
Earned Income Credit Worksheet
Delete
Schedule R
Delete
Sch SE-T
Delete
Schedule SE Adjustments Worksheet
Delete
Form 8582 p1
Delete
Modified AGI Worksheet
Delete
Form 8582 p2: Wkst 1 - 5
Delete
Form 8801
Delete
Form 8862
Delete
Form 8880
Delete
Form 8889-T
Delete
Form 8889-S
Delete
Form 8915A-T
Delete
Form 8915A-S
Delete
Form 8915B-S
Delete
Form 8995
Delete
Qualified Business Income Component wkst (Peter A Cumming)
Delete
Qualified Business Inc Deduction Summary
Delete
Forms W-2 & W-2G Summary
Delete
Forms 1099-Misc/1099-NEC Summary
Delete
Forms 1099-R Summary
Delete
Carryover Worksheet
Delete
Two-Year Comparison
Delete
Tax History Report
Delete
Tax Summary
Delete
Compare to U. S. Averages
Delete

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

37 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Error help please..Received 1099-NEC from a company. I do not run a business. I worked part time. How resolve error pls?

If you received a 1099-NEC, you might very well be self-employed. This does not mean that you run the company. If you earn money for work and are not paid by W-2, you are by default, an independent contractor.

This income should be reported on Schedule C.

1. Type "Schedule C" in the search field at the top right hand of the screen.
  2. Select "Jump To Schedule C" and you will be brought to the section of TurboTax where you can enter or have entered your business income and expense information.
pcumming
Returning Member

Still get error. Info already filled in by Turbotax. Program bug.

Error being reported states that somehow another form was filled out.

I never entered anything manually into a form. Just filled out the questions asked by Turbotax as I have for last 20 years or so.

Perhaps they will fix the bug. I found a workaround by deleting a worksheet.

Peter

what form did u delete? we are  stuck

GloriaL
Expert Alumni

Currently there is a known issue when using TurboTax Online that is related to the program asking you to double-click to link to Schedule C. 

Please review the article below and use the link in the article to enter your email address to be notified once this is resolved:  

TurboTax: Why Am I Unable to Link my 1099-NEC?

Also you can review the information below for steps to possibly solve the issue.  

Income reported on Form 1099-NEC must be reported on Schedule C, the program is trying to link these two forms together to be sure that it is reported correctly and on the right form.

Revisit the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC if you entered it on its own and delete that entry, by following these steps:

1. Open TurboTax.
  2. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  3. Type in “1099-NEC” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find),
  4. Click on the “Jump to 1099-NEC” link.

This will bring you a summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the Trash can icon next to each one.

Next, you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C so that the income is reported directly as part of your Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return.

Follow these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return: 

1. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  2. Type in “schedule c” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find).
  3. Click on the “Jump to schedule c” link.

If you already have created a Schedule C in your return, click on edit and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC. 

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC along with any additional income you received for that business.  

Once you have completed this, the error should be eliminate.

@auntshells2

paulscott

This worked. Thank goodness because I wouldn't have been able to finish and file. Thank you!

Didn’t work for me so we filed with another online company and there were no problems with them 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

The income you receive on a 1099-NEC is considered self-employment income.   It is reported on a Schedule C.   TurboTax will walk you through setting up your business's Schedule C.   Your self-employment income has to be linked to a business return, so you should go through the Schedule C interview and then link your 1099-NEC to that business.   

We'll automatically complete Schedule C when you set up your self-employment work in TurboTax or when you enter what the IRS considers self-employment income, which is usually reported on Form 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC.    Schedule C is supported in TurboTax Self-Employed (both online and in the mobile app) and in all personal 1040 versions of the TurboTax CD/Download software.

To set up your business:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Search for schedule c and click the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you have any self-employment income or expenses?
    • If you've already entered self-employment work and need to enter more, select Add another line of work.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions.

If you need Schedule C to report a 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC, search for 1099-NEC or 1099-misc and select the Jump to link. Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC? We'll ask questions to find out if your 1099 income needs to go on Schedule C.

If your 2018 or earlier return requires Schedule C-EZ, we'll also generate a Schedule C for background calculation purposes only. It won't get filed with your return.

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

None of this advice works for me.  I'm seconds away from filing, this is extremely frustrating as it's one tiny job that is holding me up.  I've followed the instructions as well as deleted and entered the 1099 NEC several times.   It all cturbotx.PNG

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If you have self-employment income, it has to be reported on a Schedule C.   You have not completed the Schedule C yet, so there is nothing to link it to as you are going through the review.  Use the instructions above to enter the Schedule C details; it doesn't take much to enter.   You can say you use your name and home address for your business.  Answer no to the 'did you pay employees or contractors' questions.   Skip the EIN information and once you go through that short section, you will be able to link your form.   E-filing does not start until the 12th.   @Jdiehl

pcumming
Returning Member

Well first I deleted Schedule C but then I thought that was not the right thing to do so I deleted the 1099 NEC and  reentered it which  recreated the schedule C. The next thing I tried was deleting the 1099 NEC worksheet only and that worked for me at least. I did this by going into tools on the bottom left and then there was an option to look at forms if I remember correctly. Good luck, and I'm sorry if you already tried this. I'm just a user like yourself

pcumming
Returning Member

I am using online TurboTax and I went into  tools on the bottom left and I deleted the form 1099 NEC worksheet and then I could continue. But who knows if that will work for everyone

go with another company. It’s a hassle to have to start at square one and enter all your info in but we have all been having this same issues for over a week and it’s not getting fixed so they obviously don’t care. 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The issue has been submitted and is currently under investigation.  Please click on the following link and sign up for an email notification when it's fixed.  

Why am I not able to link my 1099-NEC 

Thank You for your patience

Beginning with the 2020 tax year, the IRS will require business taxpayers to report nonemployee compensation on the new Form 1099-NEC instead of on Form 1099-MISC. Businesses will need to use this form if they made payments totaling $600 or more to a nonemployee, such as an independent contractor.  This was done to help clarify the separate filing deadlines on Form 1099-MISC and the new 1099-NEC form will be used starting with the 2020 tax year.

kmacklin

I've deleted and re-entered my 1099-NEC information (along with expenses) 4 times. 2 of those times were with TurboTax reps. All I want to know is what is the ETA on the issue resolution? I'm tired of the "tax advice" that had me duplicating work over and over.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies