Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Error help please..Received 1099-NEC from a company. I do not run a business. I worked part time. How resolve error pls?

Some TurboTax Online customers are getting the error below when attempting to link their Form 1099-NEC.

Check This Entry

Form 1099-NEC Worksheet (XXXXX): A link to Schedule C or another form is something we need to get your info in the right place.

If you are experiencing this issue, you may go to this TurboTax Help to sign up for email updates as we are working on this issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Error help please..Received 1099-NEC from a company. I do not run a business. I worked part time. How resolve error pls?

Use h and r block. Stinks to start over but they aren’t having this issue 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

As I mentioned above, the issue has been submitted and is currently under investigation.  Please click on the following link and sign up for an email notification when it's fixed.  

Why am I not able to link my 1099-NEC 

Thank You for your patience

Beginning with the 2020 tax year, the IRS will require business taxpayers to report nonemployee compensation on the new Form 1099-NEC instead of on Form 1099-MISC. Businesses will need to use this form if they made payments totaling $600 or more to a nonemployee, such as an independent contractor.  This was done to help clarify the separate filing deadlines on Form 1099-MISC and the new 1099-NEC form will be used starting with the 2020 tax year.

swmmer608

I am also receiving the error.  You are not alone.

swmmer608

Thank you!!!

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Delete and reenter the 1099-NEC, linking it again to the Schedule C.  If you are still experiencing an issue with the link, please see this article to sign up for updates:  Why am I not able to link my 1099-NEC in TurboTax Online?

To delete an individual form, please follow these steps:

TurboTax Online

1. While in your return, click on Tax Tools > Tools (in the black bar at the side of your screen).  
  2. In the Tools Center, under Other helpful links click on Delete a form.
  3. Click Delete next to the form you want to delete and follow the onscreen instructions. 
  4. Once you have finished deleting the desired form(s) click the Continue with My Return box (in the lower right of your screen).

TurboTax CD/Download

1. Go into Forms Mode by clicking on the Forms icon in the top right of the blue bar
  2. In the Forms in My Return list on the left, click on the form you wish to open and delete.
  3. Click on the Delete Form box at the bottom of the screen.
  4. To return to the interview, click on the Step-By-Step icon in the top right of the blue bar.  

Here is the fix that will work for everyone. Go to a different tax prep site. I have used TurboTax for years, never again. Like every large Corp., they feel like the world owes them something.

Irene2805 No! None of that works.  Here is a novel idea for TurboTax. Fix the F-ing problem! 

mrichb4

Thanks, these steps worked for me.

I am receiving this same issue.  Looks like it is still not resolved.  This is very frustrating as I would hate to start all over with another company as well.

You can delete the Schedule C.  Here's how:

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

• Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  • In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  • In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  • Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

Once you have deleted the form, go back and review the income interview questions carefully.  There may be something there in one of your answers which caused the software to think you need Schedule C or Schedule F.

@ashleypsy12

i had the error, I fixed it by deleting an empty 1099-misc form that I accidentally left there. Make sure you delete any empty forms that you accidentally leave around in other categories.

VJK1994

AJ'S BAR LLC provided a 1099-NEC for 2020.  I was a bartender and the firm controlled the times I worked along with everyone else - other bartenders, servers, cooks, etc.  Based on the IRS website, I should be classified as an employee.  Based on the IRS site, it says that I should report the amount on the 1040 as "Wages, salaries, tips, etc. and also file 8919.  My income was $4,483.48 because of COVID.   This prohibits me from filing my taxes for free because of the other forms.  The IRS site says I can file a SS-8 so should I do that first? 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

You should mail the SS-8 now separately and e-file your return.

The SS-8 gets filed by mail, separate from your return.  From the IRS:

Send the completed and signed Form SS-8 to:

Internal Revenue Service 
Form SS-8 Determinations 
P.O. Box 630 
Stop 631 
Holtsville, NY 11742-0630

Faxed, photocopied, or electronic versions of Form SS-8 are not acceptable for the initial request for the Form SS-8 determination.

Do not submit Form SS-8 with your tax return as that will delay processing time.

More information here: SS-8

Follow the instructions from ReneeM7122.

That worked for me. Thanks Renee!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies