Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Error after TurboTax Review

After TurboTax did it's review, it's asking me to check this entry.

"Schedule 8812: Advance payments received must be entered." 

I have no idea what prompted this error or what advanced payments it's talking about.

I click Forms to see if I can locate that form and 8812 is not in the list.

My taxes are fairly simple so this is an unusual request. I'm not even sure if this error would be from income or deductions.

Thanks - Paul

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I had that come up on a return last week.  I was able to delete it.  I think putting 0 on the error message will get rid of the error.  Just one of those weird glitches that happen sometimes.  If zero does not work, search for child tax credit, say you had a credit and then go in and delete any entry or it may give you the opportunity to say No after you enter Yes.  

DawnC
Expert Alumni

If you go through TurboTax from beginning to end, you will get the Child Tax Credit (and advance payments) questions in the Deductions and Credits - You and Your Family section.   Most people that do not have dependents will skip this section.   TurboTax forces you to answer these questions in the review area only if you skipped over that section when you prepared your return.   If you did not receive payments, you can answer No to the questions and enter 0 for the number of eligible dependents.    Those fields are required entries.  

There are people who claimed dependents in 2020 but are not claiming those dependents this year.   They may have received advance payments for the dependents they claimed in the previous year.   They may have to pay some of that back, maybe not.   Worst case scenario, you received a payment, don't have to pay it back but did not enter it - if that happens, you are looking at a very long delay in processing.    To prevent tax returns being filed without this crucial piece of information and the long delays that will trigger, TurboTax requires everyone to answer those questions. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies