turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

troehlig

Entering Cryptocurrency into TurboTax

I have TurboTax Premier 2019.  How do I enter the cryptocurrency.  It asks the question at the end of wages and income.  I answer yes, but nothing happens.  How do you enter it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

40 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If you sold cryptocurrency follow these steps:

Reporting cryptocurrency is similar to reporting a stock sale. You'll need to report your cryptocurrency if you sold, exchanged, spent or converted it. When it comes to hard forks and airdrops, you only have taxable income if it results new cryptocurrency.

You have to do this for every trade you made. If you bought coins at different prices or sold partial amounts, then you have to keep track and record the difference of what you sold. Cryptocurrency exchanges are not required to provide a 1099-B or summary tax statement for cryptocurrency transactions.

You'll receive a 1099-K if you made over 200 cryptocurrency transactions or your proceeds exceeded $20,000. You don't need to enter all the details from this 1099-K in TurboTax. Enter all your sales and trade info to accurately capture all your cryptocurrency transactions and keep the 1099-K for your records.

It’s your responsibility to keep records of your transactions. The most common way to do this is to download your order or trading history from your exchange’s website. You may need to do this a few times throughout the year due to limits on how far back you can get information.

Once you have your figures:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Select Federal from the left menu, and Wages & Income from the menu near the top.
  3. Scroll down and select Show more next to Investment Income.
  4. Select Start or Revisit next to Cryptocurrency.
  5. Follow the instructions and we'll calculate the gain or loss from the sale.

There's an upload limit of 2,000 cryptocurrency transactions in TurboTax. If you have more than that, you’ll need a transaction aggregator. We’ll walk you through that in the cryptocurrency section.

I am in TurboTax Premier and do not see the "show more" button in Investment Income.  I see "Get extra help", but the drop down says nothing about cryptocurrency.

Only TurboTax Online supports import with a few brokers.

To see if your broker is one of those, go to their website, it should give you instructions on how to do it.

Otherwise you'll need a transaction detail list using or similar to Form 8949 that you can mail in.

If I get crypto tokens for free (airdrop, staking) or as payment such that it is "income", I think is is like miscellaneous income, but I don't get a 1099-misc.  I can't find a way to enter this "income" if I don't have a 1099.  Where, or how, do I enter this type of crypto income?

@ColeenD3 Responding to this as this is not a solution in TurboTax Deluxe or Premier. There is NO "Show More" Button.

In 2018, I was able to import my list of cryptocurrency transactions directly into TT; where is that functionality in 2019?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Like stocks or bonds, any gain or loss from the sale or exchange of the asset is taxed as a capital gain or loss.

To enter an investment sale other than from a brokerage account (1099-B), follow the steps below.

• Federal Taxes
  • Wages and Income
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on
  • Under Investment Income
  • On Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other, click the start or update button
  • Continue through the questions
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Once you go through the process and answer the question about Cryptocurrency it seems that you have to enter the data right then. If you skip an go on to enter other non-Crypto data you can't get back. I have spent hours trying to find a solution. There just doesn't seem to be a link back to the cryptocurrency page.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Turbotax Premier 2020, How do I enter the cryptocurrency. It asks the question at the end of wages and income. I answer yes, but nothing happens. How do you enter it?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Please see the following TurboTax articles for information on entering cryptocurrency:

At this point, I don't need to know how to enter my data.  In the Turbo Tax program, your instructions tell me how to get to INVESTMENT INCOME.  When I get to that level, your directions say to SELECT SEEMORE.  Your program does not have that selection and I can NOT proceed to the CRYPTO......... selection.  My copy on TURBOTAX Premier does NOT have the option to select CRYPTO...............    Is there a fix for this or do I need a different program?  Your directions do NOT work because there is no "SEE MORE" selection.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

If you are using TurboTax Online, go to the section marked Investment Income.

• Click on Investment Income
  • Click on Cryptocurrency button to enter information.

If you are in TurboTax Desk Top, open Forms.

• Type in cryptocurrency
  • Click button for Cryptocurrency Worksheet
  • Open form
  • Enter details
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi, where exactly can I find out how to use a "transaction aggregator"? Step by step instructions? I have over 2500 transactions. 

I tried already to figure it out but it didn't work properly. Please link to step by step instructions, or please inform if there are none. 

Thanks.

need to enter cryptocurrency

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies