turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Entering 1099-G not filling on form

I have a 1099-G form to add however when I fill out the form with all of the information available it does not seem to populate the fields and continues to tell me to review the information.  I have deleted the entry and tried again(3x) however all it says is I need to review my entries.  I cannot move forward with completing my taxes due to this.  Suggestions?  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

There is more than one place to enter a Form 1099-G, depending on what is reported on the form. 

The most common reason to get a Form 1099-G is a state tax refund. Another common use for 1099-G is unemployment compensation or paid family leave (PFL).

1. If it is one of those three things, use the search box in the upper right corner and search for 1099G. 
    2. Select either Go to state and local tax refunds or Go to unemployment compensation and PFL.
    3. Follow the on screen directions to enter your 1099-G form. 

Occasionally, you may get a Form 1099-G for a different reason such as agricultural payments, RTAA payments or taxable grants from government agencies. If it is one of those reasons, you will need to scroll down further on the search results list to see other information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So my daughter is my dependent, but just started at NIH and received a 1099 G box 6 taxable grant for her 2019 2 months of work.  Turbo tax is saying this is unearned income and wants her to file the kiddie tax form, 8615.  And of course this form is not available yet.  However my question is that this is her money from earnings even if reported on 1099 G taxable grant, so it should not be taxed at my rate....  Please advise.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

You are correct that of the grant was received in exchange for services, she should include it on her return as Wages.  You may have to adjust the entry in TurboTax so that it is not included as unearned income on your tax return.  She could do the entry in TurboTax as if she did not get a W2- look for Other Reportable Income and you would exclude it on your return (just be sure to keep a copy with your tax records).

@oaklander

I got this info from Turbo Tax

Also Turbo tax does not properly treat the NIH Post Bac 1098-G taxable grant. The way Turbo tax software treats it if you follow their questionnaire, it shows up under unearned income, and misc income. The only way to have it property show up in 1040 line 1, and not unearned income (which triggers filing of an 8615 form and a punitive tax for the dependent), is to follow the Turbo Tax cpa advice to report this on a 1098T. Basically make NIH the school, fill in no educational expenses, and a scholarship of the amount of earnings. You may have to recheck in the actual form that it gets entered correctly there. The first time I entered in the questionnaire, but it did not show up in the 1098T form as scholarship. This makes the amount show up properly in 1040 line 1, (Amount - Sch) as per IRS Publication 970 page 6, and IRS, and makes it not show up as unearned income, as per IRS Publication 929 pages 14, 17, 18, since it is not. I sure hope Turbo Tax fixes this before next year, and PS the regular folks at Turbo Tax just tell you the software is correct, when it isn't....I heard on one posting someone actually paid this tax, which can be substantial if your child is a dependent.....

Please note I am having the same problem and your instructions did not clear the message of "needs Review"?  Its for un-employment 1099-G and nothing is seeming to work.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Are you in Michigan and received a 1099-G for unemployment in that state? And are you having a problem because there is no entry on the 1099-G in box 10b?

If so, you will need to contact the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency and ask them what number is supposed to be there. This field has the "filer's state identification number". The Michigan UIA is the "filer" in this case.

Or are you having another issue?

Yes I live in Michigan and the 1099-G they posted on their site for me to use filled with my info doesn't have that information filled out and the boxes state they do not need to be filled out if they are blank just to leave them blank?   Do you think thats probably the reason? 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

If there is an amount in Box 11 (state tax withheld by the Michigan UIA), then TurboTax requires that you enter the items in boxes 10a and 10b and will give you an error message. On the other hand, if box 11 is empty, then you do not need to enter anything in boxes 10a, 10b, and 11.

perfect exactly what I needed to know thank you so much I have sent them a message!  

SELLBLOCK, did you hear back from the state of Michigan?  Did they provide the data to input in 10b?

Thank you for checking back but no I have not heard back from the state yet I’m guessing it will not be a quick response I will try my best to remember to update this post as soon as I do

mikehogo

I'm having the same problem! Thanks for keeping us up to date with what you find out!

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Since there were state taxes withheld and reported in box 11 of your Form 1099-G, you do need to complete boxes 10a and 10b. 

Use the dropdown box to enter the state name for box 10a.  If you cannot get the state ID number to use and your form does not have it printed there, you can use the Federal ID number shown on your form in box 10b for the state ID number.  

@TAXNOOB3

@SELLBLOCK

@mikehogo

Yay thank you that worked!  

Ok so when your on the first page you review that states the federal ID just copy and paste it to box 10B and for 10A i just put MICHIGAN and it worked. 

Thanks to all this is the most helpful Forum I have ever experienced! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies