Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

efiling form 4852 (Substitute W-2) (foreign pension)

Can my tax returns be e-filed if form 4852 (W-2 substitute) (for foreign pension) is included?  

I am seeing conflicting comments about this.

I would rather pay taxes on my pension than have to paper file with form 8833 again.  I paper copy mailed my 2019 taxes last September and they still have not been processed.  

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

24 Replies

@darla1 wrote:

Can my tax returns be e-filed if form 4852 (W-2 substitute) (for foreign pension) is included?  

I am seeing conflicting comments about this.

I would rather pay taxes on my pension than have to paper file with form 8833 again.  I paper copy mailed my 2019 taxes last September and they still have not been processed.  

Thanks!

No but a 4852 substitute 1099-R per the IRS 1040 instructions that say to report it on the 1040 line 5a and 5b.

Only a 1099-R can put it there.   In the 1099-R interview select a substitute 1099-R.

IRS instructions page 22.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

Foreign retirement plans.If you were a beneficiary of a foreign retirement plan, you may have to report the undis-tributed income earned in your plan. However, if you were the beneficiary of a Canadian registered retirement plan, see Rev. Proc. 2014-55, 2014-44 I.R.B. 753, available at IRS.gov/irb/2014-44_IRB#RP2014-55, to find out if you can elect to defer tax on the undis-tributed income.Report distributions from foreign pension plans on lines 5a and 5b.:

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
ipc1
Level 2

Does the substitute 1099-R selection process result in the generation of the Form 4852?

@ipc1 wrote:

Does the substitute 1099-R selection process result in the generation of the Form 4852?

Yes but why would you need a substitute?

Is there a problem with the original 1099-R that that the insurer refused to correct?  

That is the only reason for substitute and you must include a statement of the error and that the issuer refused to correct  it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
ipc1
Level 2

That’s what was recommended above, "In the 1099-R interview select a substitute 1099-R."

Oh -- for   foreign pension.  Yes that is how to report it.

ipc1
Level 2

Please clarify for the foreign pension, “Yes that is how to report it.”

Enter it in the 1099R sections and select "substitute 1099-R".   It will ask for an explanation statement.   Say that it is a foreign pension and provide the details.

You can only paper file and not e-file.

Enter a 1099-R here:

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
(I'll choose what I work on - if that screen comes up)
Retirement Plans & Social Security,
IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

OR  Use the "Tools" menu (if online version left side) and then "Search Topics" for "1099-R" which will take you to the same place.

ipc1
Level 2

This is my confusion, it does seem some users are e-filing for foreign pensions using the “substitute 1099-R”, and using a dummy payer id that works for TT e-filing. See for instance:

Solved: Thanks John-I prefer the 1099s for the info & the ... (intuit.com)

@ipc1 wrote:

This is my confusion, it does seem some users are e-filing for foreign pensions using the “substitute 1099-R”, and using a dummy payer id that works for TT e-filing. See for instance:

Solved: Thanks John-I prefer the 1099s for the info & the ... (intuit.com)

You can try but the IRS checks the TIN  and if not valid can reject the return.

ipc1
Level 2

Before submitting e-file can TurboTax confirm that 99-0999999 will be accepted by the IRS for the Payer Federal ID entry?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Yes you can.  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign in to your account and select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, type in 1099r, then Enter
  • Select Jump to 1099r
  • Follow prompts
  • Next screen, Choose your bank or brokerage, select I'll type it in myself
  • On the screen Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have, check the box I need to prepare a substitute 1099-R and follow the prompts.  

As to the Federal ID, try entering nine 9s.  If electronic errors occur due to 1099-R data entry, enter the pension under Miscellaneous income, see instructions below. As long as the IRS has the pension reported and included in total income, it is not problematic. 

• To your left, select Federal
  • From the top, select Wages and Income
  • Scroll down to last section -Less Common Income -select Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-CStart 
  • Next screen, scroll down to Other Reportable IncomeStart
  • Follow prompts

If it is not taxable to you, to enter the exemption, follow here:

• report your full amount as instructed above. Then enter the treaty exempt amount as a negative amount (e.g. -5000) under Other Reportable Income as instructed above.  
  • Download and fill in a Form 8833 from IRS to claim an exception.  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8833.pdf

International tax treaty-related issues are out of scope for advice.  You are suggested to consult a specialized professional for verification.  This pension amount will show on line 5 of your Form 1040.  If it's taxable, it will show on line 5b.  If it's not taxable, it will show on line 5a for reporting purposes. 

@darla1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

But then we are right back to where we started (and my original question): because if you include form 8833 the returns must be paper-filed with TurboTax.  Is there any way to e-file a return which includes a foreign pension?  Sorry to keep on about this but paper filing was a disaster for me last year.  My 2019 return has still not been processed.  

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If it is not taxable to you, you will have to paper-file to show IRS the Form 8833, unfortunately.  If you really want to e-file, you can do so without the Form 8833 but most likely the IRS will send you a correspondence.  You will then need to send back the Form 8833 with explanation. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@darla1 wrote:

But then we are right back to where we started (and my original question): because if you include form 8833 the returns must be paper-filed with TurboTax.  Is there any way to e-file a return which includes a foreign pension?  Sorry to keep on about this but paper filing was a disaster for me last year.  My 2019 return has still not been processed.  

Unfortunately the only way that I know to meet the IRS requirement of placing a foreign pension on the 1040 line 5a & 5b is with a substitute 1099-R with an explanation statement..     I do not believe a substitute 1099-R can be e-filed.

I do not believe any 8833 form is required to simply report a foreign pension unless a treaty reduces the taxable amount of the pension.

(Reporting as miscellaneous income as suggested above does not meet the requirement.)

Per IRS 1040 instructions:

Foreign retirement plans.If you were a beneficiary of a foreign retirement plan, you may have to report the undis-tributed income earned in your plan. However, if you were the beneficiary of a Canadian registered retirement plan, see Rev. Proc. 2014-55, 2014-44 I.R.B. 753, available at IRS.gov/irb/2014-44_IRB#RP2014-55, to find out if you can elect to defer tax on the undis-tributed income.Report distributions from foreign pension plans on lines 5a and 5b.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies