turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

efile rejected due to possible program error

Tried twice to efile and both times files are rejected for 'TotalAdjustmentsToIncomeAmt' not equal to TotalAdjustmentsAmt' plus (+) 'CharitableContributionAmt". First, I elected to use itemized deductions, not the standard. On 1040 lines 10a, b & c is where the problem arises. Sched 1 line 22 is "0," so 10a should be "0' -- and it is. 1040 line 10b is also "0" which it should be given the election to use itemized deductions. Therefore, line 10c should be "0" and it is NOT. It has a value that is equal to the non-cash charitable deductions!! How did this happen?? 1040 line 12 does have the correct total itemized deductions from Sched. A line 17 and Sched A line 18 has the box checked for the itemized deductions election. As I see it, the problem is 1040 line 10c is not being computed correctly. And the erroneous line 10c entry cannot be edited manually to fix the problem. Also, the quick zoom links help with this. The QZ for line 10a gets to the correct Schedule 1 line (#22) and it's "0" value (actually just blank). Since itemized deductions are elected, there is no QZ for line 10b. And 10b is also "0" or blank. Of course line 10c won't have a QZ either as it's an arithmetic box (add lines 10a and 10b). I can't figure out why 10c then has the non-cash charitable contributions value????

Part of the problem may lie in that I switched from standard to itemized deduction election to see how those options changed my total tax liability, including State.

Any ideas??? TIA for any and all help with a solution. -- osborsr

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please review your input for charity. 

You will need to go through the interview steps. 

When you switched, it affected the return. 

Also, please ensure you have your software to the most up to date version. 

If you need additional assistance, please click here to contact customer support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
wcheng526
Returning Member

Have you figured out how to solve this problem ? I also have similar issues, and I also changed from standard deduction to itemized deduction. This really sucks. 

I "fixed" my issue in a brute force manner. As I wanted to get my taxes done as early as possible, I just decided to uninstall the program and trash all of my files related to that early effort. I then purged the registry and then reloaded TT Deluxe from scratch. The consequence was that I also had to repurchase my State efile ($20). After that reload and update, everything worked as it should have EXCEPT this time I followed the step-by-step and slogged my way through every bit of it. When I e-filed, everything went as it should have the first time. Initially, I entered data using my own order choosing -- not step-by-step. When I toggled between itemized/standard deduction elections, this caused the program to mess up and create bad efile files. I had a heck of a time attempting to correct erroneous entries to no avail. So after a couple of failed efile attempts, that's when I decided to punt and reload EVERYTHING and then enter the data using step-by-step all over again. But it worked, including toggling the standard/itemized deductions option. What a pain (and expense), but I did get the refund in about 10 days from efiling. Never experienced this problem before this year's product. Hope this helps with some insight.

Yes, thanks for those "tips!" You state to "follow the step-by-step" which seems totally unnecessary as each category allows for "I'll choose what to enter" (or something close to that). Having said that, I uninstalled everything related to my initial filing attempt and reloaded the program and data, but this time following step-by-step and it worked -- including toggling between itemized and standard deduction options with NO problem. But as I said, having to use step-by-step should not be "required" -- otherwise why have the option to choose what I data I want to enter (those buttons are there, right??). If TT will only work correctly using step-by-step, then the other data entry options should be removed. And, this is the first year I have encountered this issue as I have always entered tax data in a more or less random fashion as the tax info documents became available to me.

Cynthiad66
Employee Tax Expert

Agree.  Having to use a work around is not an inconvenience but hopefully it worked.  There are several issues that are still being worked on by the IRS, therefore our software has some incomplete items that are causing errors.  TurboTax is not ignoring the issues and thank you for your comment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies