Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

e-file transmit held up AFTER hitting transmit asking for NMBTIN on Mew Mexico form RPD-41359

The returns are supposed to be AOK and have been printed. 

The New Mexico Business Tax ID is clearly listed as OPTIONAL on the form and I was not provided with this

information.   I'm considering entering a fake 11-digit number like all 5s or all 0s to get Turbo Tax to finish doing my Federal and 2 states e-files.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

e-file transmit held up AFTER hitting transmit asking for NMBTIN on Mew Mexico form RPD-41359

Can you please provide a screenshot of what you are seeing with any personal information redacted?

Were the returns rejected?

Are you able to continue if you leave it blank?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Michelle:

I tried to respond to your e-mail directly, which does not work and was undeliverable.

I'll copy the re-edited version of what I sent below. 

Hopefully TurboTax will be updated for next year to recognize that the field being blank is fine.

----------------------

Michelle:

Thanks for the e-mail.
I was up last night (Thur 4/13) working on TurboTax from around 4am to 8am when I finally got my Taxes (Fed, NY and New Mexico e-filed).
I could not get any expert help due to the time of day - especially since I am in NY and Suppoprt seems to be based on Pacific time.

I got around the problem by entering 10 zeroes in the "Required" OPTIONAL field.

It turns out that I had the same TurboTax problem last year, which was also the first year I bothered to file the (also optional) New Mexico tax return.
I got around the problem by entering 10 zeroes for the NMBTID (New Mexico Business Tax ID) field.
This field was BLANK on the form supplied by the LP and is specifically listed as an OPTIONAL field on the form.
It appears that it is only TurboTax that thinks, and states, that this field is required.
I spent several hours trying to see if I could locate the correct value for this field for the Limited Partnership with no luck.
Then I remembered that I had filed a New Mexico return last year and saw that I had gotten unstuck by entering 10 zeroes.

Even though the form says right on it that the field is OPTIONAL, Turbo Tax Says it is required and must be numeric up to 11 characters.

Amazingly to me - even after pressing the final click to e-file, TurboTax came back and said I was not yet done and had to print off some forms and mail them to
"The Government". The forms turned out to be a 1 page PDF with 3 copies of the RPD-41359 on it with the 10 zeroes showing.
Last year, TurboTax was not able to print the forms at all at this point so I did not know what they were.
It said it was unable to convert the forms to PDF format.

I think the reason TurboTax wants to send the forms is because by entering the zeroes, the form now differs from what
was originally supplied by the LP to the various taxing authorities.

I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to send it to The IRS or to New Mexico or what address to use.
I do not think there is any benefit to me trying to spend time and money printing and mailing the
modified forms with my "TurboTax bypass" to the IRS or New Mexico.

I'll update the solution on the community thing when I get a chance - Unless THIS does it . I'm a newbie - only signed up yesterday desperately trying to get advice.
Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies