Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dscull

E file rejected

I'm trying to file a 1040 for my mother and father.  Father deceased in December 2019.  Filing married filing jointly, noting the date of death and as per previous returns, father is the taxpayer and mother the spouse.  When e filing, mother's PIN and name comes up in Turbotax to efile.  Return is then rejected based on PIN not matching last year's (which would have been my father's).  AGI from 2018 is correct.  What do I need to change? Note: this is not a return for the estate.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

E file rejected

It depends.  Are you getting one of these reject codes:  E-file reject IND-031-04 or IND-032-04: The AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records?

If so, please follow the steps in the attached link:  PIN or AGI Don't match

If you are unable to fix the rejection this way, please Print and Mail the Return.  Here are additional details on Printing and Mailing your tax return:  Printing and Mailing my Tax Return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dscull

E file rejected

Thank you.  It's the IND-031-04.  The AGI is correct.  The PIN the IRS is looking for is that of my deceased father.  The PIN that Turbotax populates is that of the signer, my mother, the surviving spouse.  The disconnect that causes the rejection is the inability of my father to sign the return to match what the IRS expects for the PIN.  Perhaps a final 1040 cannot be efiled.  

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

E file rejected

If there is income, a final return should be filed.  

I recommend that you print and mail the return, your mother can sign it as surviving spouse.

From IRS Publication 559 (link below)  Signature. If a personal representative has been appointed, that person must sign the return. If it is a joint return, the surviving spouse must also sign it. If no personal representative has been appointed, the surviving spouse (on a joint return) signs the return and writes in the signature area “Filing as surviving spouse.” If no personal representative has been appointed and if there is no surviving spouse, the person in charge of the decedent's property must file and sign the return as “personal representative.”

Here is a link to Publication 559, the above section is on page 4:  IRS Publication 559

dscull

E file rejected

Thank you for your replies. According to IRS.gov, the return can be filed electronically. AGI was entered correctly. I know that my mother, as surviving spouse can sign for them both. No issues or problems except the IRS kept rejecting the e file. Only the surviving spouse PIN would populate when submitting. Various work arounds were tried but same result. 

I tried FreeTaxUSA software, found through my state tax department’s website. When e filing, both deceased spouse and surviving spouse PINs were required. Forms did show father was deceased and surviving spouse was signing for him. Return was successfully e filed.  Perhaps a Turbo tax bug?  

NJL44
Returning Member

E file rejected

I am having the SAME problem and I'm getting angry because I believe this problem is with the software. Every "Tax expert" keeps telling me to print them. I don't want to print them. I want to e-File. That is why I bought the software. In my case, my stepfather died in March of 2019 but the same thing happens. It populates my mother's info. Everything is correct but it won't file. I don't think I can use a free software option as their taxes are more in-depth, and I'm getting sick of Intuit not answering to the fact that this seems to be a general problem, therefore, it is their software. 

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

E file rejected

@NJL44 please refer to the response on another thread related to this issue:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-bug-report-joint-return-w-deceased-spouse-efil...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies